Thank You, Mr. Smarty Pants

TexasLexus94

I've written many posts, maybe 10, concerning the fact that Lexus dealers will not tell owners of a used Lexus the anti-theft radio code for their car-without "exacting tribute" to the tune of an hours labor (plus lost time dropping off and picking up the car). It has always concerned me that a dead battery or another electrical malfunction, even a simple tuneup, could result in added costs after doing the electrical repair work. I've posted instructions several times for members who didn't know how to set their code-always cautioning that if they've actually stolen the radio, they have 9 chances to guess the code-or the radio goes dead. 9 out of 999 numbers is bad odds.

But I remember a post from an LOC member months ago-I know not who-he said that the code is probably the last 3 numbers of the VIN number. It's been so damn hot that I've never gone out to the garage to test his theory. Until today.

And you know what? He was right! I now know the code, and can disconnect the electrical system without worrying about the radio and CD going dead. Thank you, LOC member. And to a certain member from KS who poo-pooed my concern about radio codes and extra cost-I say "Hah!

Yes, I suppose thieves who read LOC might steal the radio while copying the VIN. But really-Are crooks that smart? I don't think so....If you're worried, simply follow the owners manual instructions, and change your code. Life is good....

Wow. This is interesting. What happens when the radio goes dead, it wouldn't play anymore, forever, until it is opened, or what?

Because in my Acura, you have three chances and if you don't get it right it stops responding and you just turn off and restart the car, and it comes back for 3 more chances!

btw: I did change mine, and wrote the code in the owners manual (where the instructions are) which is in the car (glove box) but I have another unopened manual in the house that I will switch it with, if I remember to do so. In the meantime I'm hoping the crook will be illiterate.

The radio in my 90' has gotten to where it will not come on until about 20 minutes of driving. Seems to be worse- the cooler it is outside. Could it be some sort of problem with the anti-theft system, or the radio simply going bad? My dad said he thinks that a circuit board may be cracked. Whats odd is that sometimes when the radio will not come on, the cassette eject button will still work- sometimes it won't and there are also times when I hit the power button and notice that the green light will illuminate for about a second, like it wants to come on, but goes back out. Quite a mystery.

Sounds like the radio is headed for a proper burial. Rather than mess with a big repair cost, I'd recommend installing sirius or xm, and using the radio so you can at least enjoy sounds while driving. Sell the remaining time to a new owner, and consider yourself lucky. Your car is about 15 years old-a teenager-and we all know the problems that can develop with a teenager.

93LSOWNER-

Yes, the radio will not work if it is disconnected. Unless you know the code. Ever. One of our gurus, the world's worst speller, says you need a "code reader" to resurrect the radio. Resets don't work. And it's not like a code reader is sold at Wal-Mart. You get 9 chances-and then you go to the Lexus dealer, open your wallet, and wonder why you ever bought a used Lexus.

You can also program your own code that you can easily remember i.e. birthday. But doing this requires you to know the original factory default code....I guess this is where the VIN number comes into play!

Those radios that sell on eBay usually have the code disabled so new owners can program their own code.

Lexus cars with radios that can be protected with security codes do not arrive from the factory with a security code programmed. The owner has to do it (or have the dealer do it) and the owner can pick any three digit code he wants. I never bothered to program in a code since I was never really concerned with theft.

"exacting tribute" for a repair or diagnosis is how one pays for employees' salaries, health care, vacations, and the facility they work in. But sometimes a repair shop or dealer will treat you to a freebie if you are really nice but mainly if you have a long term and friendly relationship with them. I've brought a lot of new customers to my favorite repair shop and that is probably one reason the owner treats me so well.

Ah, my KS friend. I knew you were out there.

Remember, I bought the car used, and it already had a code-unknown to me-installed. So I've been keen on trying to avoid paying for a replacement code-something that should be provided for free, I think.

"Long term and friendly relationship".

Can you say "I'm paying the big bucks for a pat on the back?" But I guess if you've got the bucks, you should distribute your wealth. And you definitely will do that at your friendly Lexus dealer.

Nice to hear from you again. How's the weather?

Guys... when did they stop using those codes? Is it something I should be worried about? I disconnected the battery before to reset the ECU, and the radio didn’t ask me for any codes.... is t because non have been programmed, or Lexus did away with the radio coding? Please advise.

Thanks.

I think 1990LS400 answered our question........

my 99 doesn't have a code programmed in - it comes from the factory WITH OUT any code. The owner must program it if he/she feels the need for extra security.

I changed my battery last fall, and like you, encountered no problem. I looked at my owners manual and had no indication the dealer put a code in it - so: no problem.

My thought is this:

why put a code in it anyway. It doesn't prevent anyone from breaking in and taking it........ :o So it doesn't do the owner any good :whistles:

You have to get a new one anyway.................