Air/fuel Ratio

bflinker9

What does it mean when my car is running to lean? The dealer says i'm at 45% at full throttle and I should be at 5% could someone explain and could you tell me how to fix it?

THANKS in advance!

When a car is running lean that is when your fuel is running out. On the other hand when a car is running rish, this is when a vehicles motor is getting to much fuel. That is the short term. There is a more technical term if needed..

What does it mean when my car is running to lean? The dealer says i'm at 45% at full throttle and I should be at 5% could someone explain and could you tell me how to fix it?

THANKS in advance!

Hiya

I responded to your question in the Euro forum

What the dealer is saying to you is that your engine is getting too much air and therefore the mixture isn't right.. Now if you had and upgraded ECU that you could tune, then you could richen the mixture... But I guess Lexus Srevice will have to find what's causing the problem...

sorry i am a little lost

when they say you are at 45% and not 5 what are they refering to

running lean is not the best depending on the situation

i run real lean at idle

and real rich at wot

when i dynoed my car i had an air fuel reading also

all engines run on the 14.4 rule it works for many automotive measures like

14.4 vdc for electric power when the car is running ( even though it is rated a 12vdc system)

14.4 parts of air to 1 part fuel is the "perfect" mixture for a so called perfect burn

soi am at a lose on what they are trying to say fully

all depends on the variables

try and be descriptive as posible

like was there a reason the car went in for service?

Thanks everyone for all the help!

The reason I went to the dealer is because the check engine light went on and they said it was a bad air sensor. That is when they told me my car was running lean at wot. They said I had to take my K&N intake off before they would work on it so now i'm going to take it back in tomorrow to get it fixed and i'll find out more, I'll let you know what they said because it sounds like you know more than they do.

Thanks again for your help!

ahh a little more sense now

how long was the inake in the car for

is it a drop in filter or a cone cold air one

or a short pipe?

the car will usually run lean if the computer doesn't realise the change as it is getting more air

and now can compensate more fuel

did you uplug the computer to reset the ecu after the filter change?

if it is a short piep( one that has a filter in the engine bay)

take it out and leave it out

they are junk

it will run even more lean as it will get more hot air ,which equals less oxygen molecules for a slower burn

which equals lower performance and gas milage

• 1 month later...

Your mass air flow sensor is bad. It couldn't measure the amount of air coming in your engine. That is why it is leaning out. Replacing the MAF sensor will fix your problem. Is your car under warr? Also the fuel trim is measure in short and long term. Good luck.

JPI

• 2 weeks later...

nope mass air flow is fine. Air moving past mass air flow sensor to fast. The 2jz's run lean stock anyways. This is run by a butterfly vlave in the intake manifold. Slow the air down. 3 inch intake that is longer than 30 inches. here is the link to teck site for this issue.

http://www.mkiv.com/specifications/ncf/ncf...cf93/ncf067.jpg

Good luck

Derek