K&n Oil Filter On My 97 Lx

molocka12

I recently purchase a K& N air & oil filter for my 97 lx 450 using the make -- model- year -- engine they provide on the sight.

I installed them but notice the oil filter seam much bigger than the one I remove.

I decided to go on line to K&N site to make sure I received the correct oil filter;

I did not the part # HP 3001 is for a 96 lx 450 The oil filter I should have received is part # HP 1002 . I notified the company I purchase it from they are sending me the correct oil filter

My question, is this the engine is the same in the 96 - 97 lx the filter is not leaking & the oil pressure gauge is at 3/4 going 50 mph 1/2 way at 30 mph & between 1/4 & 0 when idling

I will install the correct filter as soon as I receive it but in the meantime is it safe to continue driving with my current filter.

:censored:

I was not aware there were any differences between the motors in these year vehicles. I'm very suprised to hear they would spec. different oil filters, and that one would work for one year, but not the other.

Ultimately, they're just filtering oil (albiet some are better than others). I can't imagine it would be any harm in the short term especially if your oil pressure is within normal operating ranges.

Rookie

I had the same issue with Fram filters. The Fram website shows one number and the store catalog shows another. The difference in filter size is doubled. I use the larger one figuring it filters more particles. Out of curiosity, I look at the Fram filter for a 96 Land Cruiser, and it uses the larger one.

96 LX450

dakrri

FWIW, everything I've ever read indicates that Fram filters are crap. You'd be better advised to stick with the OEM Toyota Filters IMHO. Some have noted that the big filter contributes to start-up rattle. I didn't have that problem. I'm currently on the smaller 90915-20004 filter, but those aren't made any longer.

:cheers:

Rookie

I use the "Fram Double Guard" filter and change my oil (Mobile 1) every 5,000.00 miles. With almost 8 quarts of oil in the motor and frequent oil changes I think you’d be hard-pressed to find a bad filter of any Name Brand Company. It’s one of those things you could argue about all day.

I drink Budweiser (K/N filter) and my friend drinks Bush-Light (Fram Filter) but at then end of the night we are both Fu#*#ed up!!! 

Dakrri

I use the "Fram Double Guard" filter and change my oil (Mobile 1) every 5,000.00 miles. With almost 8 quarts of oil in the motor and frequent oil changes I think you’d be hard-pressed to find a bad filter of any Name Brand Company. It’s one of those things you could argue about all day.

I drink Budweiser (K/N filter) and my friend drinks Bush-Light (Fram Filter) but at then end of the night we are both Fu#*#ed up!!!  

Dakrri

Well surely their Double Guard filter is better than their standard filters, based on what they charge for it (about the same as OEM filters). My comment was based on things I've read about there standard filters. I've seen no independent testing on the Double Guard.

Here are a couple of excerpts from what I consider knowlegable sources:

"Fram Filters- Generally Fram is accepted as the last filter to use. Search around the internet for the problems and subpar construction. Some issues 1) Carboard anti-drain valves instead of the industry standard rubber or silicon, 2) crappy filter media, 3) poor filtering qualities, 4) Bypass cuts in too fast."

Also see http://www.lesabret.com/filters/filter.html.

Oil filters are kind of like religion and politics. You could arque about them all day and get nowhere. So we won't do that. I'm no expert, and I used to use Fram filters without any problems that I was aware of. I just wasn't aware of some of this information at the time.

I do tend to heed the unbias advise of others (more than just what you see here) that are more knowledgable on the subject of oil and filters. I go with what will hopefully result in less headaches down the road, which rules out Budweiser for me. You can't beat Natural Light at $12 a case (if you can live with the beer sha!ts).

Rookie2

The fram filters are the worst, you can not compare a K&N with fram.

K&N are synthetic filters they filter down much farther than a normal filter.

K&N filters are the same filter as a Mobil 1 filter but they welded a 1" nut on the end. Both synthetic.

There are two sizes and I have used them both, but I think the larger is better because of capacity, It has more filter paper in it.

I don't think there's really a different spec. for the two different year vehicles (obviously K&N thinks so). There are a couple of different filters that can be used, and yes.. the size difference is substantial. Like I mentioned earlier, I've used both.

Rookie2