Spark Plug Replacement On A 97

I don't know how to start but I have been searching for a set of spark plug wires for my 97 ES. Everywhere I have searched I found 1 set of 3 wires for my year. I was told I have to purchase 2 sets to change all the wires. I found the set on Lexus parts.com and they quoted me $84.00 for a set of 3. I thought it was rather steep considering I could have gotten NGK for a little over $90 for 2 sets. I sent an e-mail to the salesman asking about the wires. Here is the conversation:

Me:

Is the spark plug set for all 6 wires or just 3?

Lexus-parts:

I just want to be clear, your ES300, 97 year model does not have 6 wires although it does have 6 spark plugs. The set consists of only 3 wires, all the wires you need to replace your spark plug wire set.

Should you have any further questions in the meantime, please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you for your time.

I then purchased the set of wires and just received them yesterday. Just as I figured, it was a set of 3 wires. I don't understand how a car that has 6 cylinders run on 3 wires. That is just puzzling to me. I sent another e-mail to them about what I received and here is what they said:

Lexus-parts:

If I remember correctly, we already discussed this over the phone along with email. You received the correct spark plug wire SET as needed. You will not need any additional items or parts to replace your spark plug wires. Please use the following diagram of your wires to help better educate yourself with what is needed.

Let me know what you guys think!!

yeah i ran into the same confusion when i was looking for wires for my 98; i had bought a set of MSD wires for a V6 toyota engine i.e Camry(came with 6 wires), then my mechanic told me why they werent compatible..(wish i remembered what he had told me) but in the end i ended up returning the MSD ones for a little more expensive MAGNECOR wires. By the way: ive only seen two companies who sell wires for the es300 MAGNECOR http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm

and VITEK http://www.vitekperformance.com/

• 4 years later...
That is correct. My 97 with 1mzfe engine has only 3 wires for rear plugs. Front plugs have the coils directly on them. I replaced mine with NGK Iridium Plugs for 45 bucks.

Hi, I am new. I am also a woman but know a little bit about the workings of my 1996 ES 300. When replacing wires back on the new plugs, just how do the wires go in relation to the 3 back plugs? If I am understanding correctly, the wires are of various lengths, and the longest wire goes to the plug farthest away and so on. Can you confirm this please. I would really appreciate it.

• 5 months later...
That is correct. My 97 with 1mzfe engine has only 3 wires for rear plugs. Front plugs have the coils directly on them. I replaced mine with NGK Iridium Plugs for 45 bucks.

Hi, I am new. I am also a woman but know a little bit about the workings of my 1996 ES 300. When replacing wires back on the new plugs, just how do the wires go in relation to the 3 back plugs? If I am understanding correctly, the wires are of various lengths, and the longest wire goes to the plug farthest away and so on. Can you confirm this please. I would really appreciate it.

This is probably late to need but I could not find this answer posted anywhere. I had a similar question on my 96 ES300. I found a diagram on AllData and deduced what the wire connections would be and, after I installed in the following manner, I did not throw any codes for misfiring, etc.

Here is the cylinder layout

Firewall

1 3 5

2 4 6

Front of vehicle

Coils are on # 2-4-6 cylinders (3)

Here are the coil to wire connections.

2 => 5

4 => 1

6 => 3

Hope this helps

Yikes...lol :lol:

Hi Lexusfreak.. I know its an "oldie but goodie" revival but since I could not locate it anywhere else, I thought it might pop up if someone should "search" the forum for it. Thought this thread would be appropriate. Do you recommend I start a new post on this?

BTW, great forum. It sure has helped me. Lurking can be fun!! :lol: