How Do You Remove Painted Pinstripes

Funny enough stevie was joking but i am not.

It does need to be sanded but with 600 grit and wetsand it down and buff it back . It mainly depends if it is on the paint or under a clearcoat on the panels.

It would be easier to cover it with a colour match than remove it properly.

• 10 months later...
Funny enough stevie was joking but i am not.

It does need to be sanded but with 600 grit and wetsand it down and buff it back . It mainly depends if it is on the paint or under a clearcoat on the panels.

It would be easier to cover it with a colour match than remove it properly.

I'm wondering if Blackstarr777 or anyone else has done this. My brother just bought a new RX400h--BLACK (no clearcoat per what I have read here). The dealer apparently pinstriped it when it hit his lot. My brother hates the stripes :censored: . He said something about covering them up with a tapestripe but he'd probably be happier if they were removed. Of course, he doesn't want to foul up the paint job on a $50,000+ automobile. Any suggestions appreciated.

Just a thought; i tried this about 10 years ago and it worked!!

If your positive it's above a "clearcoat", then you could always try a little area rubbing Acetone on it. It will remove the pinstripe, and unfortunately a "bit" of the clearcoat.

This will lead to a foggy base color, but you can just use a mild rubbing compound and apply wax.

but please DO NOT try this without a YES or NO by someone else who knows more about this than i do. I did this on someone in my family's car 10 years ago and it worked. I'm not sure how it will work on lexus paint. Also the car NEEDS to have a clearcoat because if not, the acetone will remove the base coat as well.

Just a thought. Acetone in small amounts will remove paint. And unlike sanding, it will leave a PERFECTLY smooth (but foggy) result. The wax will shine it up as new. Well it should??

Clearcoat is just base coat with no pigment, the makeup of the paint is the same. Acetone may work, but I wouldn't try it.

I also wouldnt let the dealer do it, they could seriously harm the paint. I dont even let the dealer wash mine because they can't do it without scratching it all up. I've watched dealer detail bays...they're a scary thing.

Take it to a bodyshop.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm assuming that my car has tape pinstriping, because a small portion of it was damaged on the front left, revealing black underneath where the pinstripe should be. So all I have to do is take a hairdryer to it and peel away with my fingers? What should I do after removing the stripes to clean and protect the surface? Thanks.