Odd TPMS problem

phoward47

I have a 2007 ES350.  The TPMS sensors had weak batteries so I replaced all 5 of them with no issues.  Drive it a few miles and the light went out.  The odd thing is the TPMS light comes on when I'm entering my garage.  It will go out after driving 100ft or so.  It doesn't matter how far I drive the light stays out until I cross the threshold of the garage, it comes on.  The pressures are all fine.  The sensor id's are all correct.   I have done the TPMS reset button under the steering wheel, no change. 

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Thanks

Paul

Is the temperature in your garage significantly lower than outside the garage?

Some manufacturers require a vehicle to be driven at a designated speed for a set period of time, before a new sensor will be recognized.
I'm curious how you changed the sensors, yourself. Do you have tire-changing equipment in your garage?

I just replaced all 5 sensors on my LS, Each sensor needs to be recognized and uploaded via OBDII port with an Autel  TS508 . I don't think they self recognize and automatically program themselves. ???

13 hours ago, RX400h said:

Is the temperature in your garage significantly lower than outside the garage?

Some manufacturers require a vehicle to be driven at a designated speed for a set period of time, before a new sensor will be recognized.
I'm curious how you changed the sensors, yourself. Do you have tire-changing equipment in your garage?

The Garage is 60 degrees.  And it happens instantly so there is no way the sensor has time to cool off.  I have been driving the car for several miles and the light is off so I know the car recognizes it.  It only comes on when I cross the garage door threshold.

I have a bead breaker that I bought from Harbor Freight for $70 so I could do this myself and save some money.

14 minutes ago, dcfish said:

I just replaced all 5 sensors on my LS, Each sensor needs to be recognized and uploaded via OBDII port with an Autel  TS508 . I don't think they self recognize and automatically program themselves. ???

I programed the new sensors to have the same ID as the old ones.  They work fine out of the garage and the OBDII scan tool reports the same numbers that are reported by the Autel.

7 hours ago, dcfish said:

I used Toyota sensors, They are pre programmed and just need to be recognized and uploaded. No cloning.

I understand that, but the sensors are transmitters, the car is the receiver.  The car is receiving the signals from the transmitters fine (verified with OBDII tool).  The problem seems to be that the receiver is getting some odd signal somewhere near the house.  It doesn't make any sense that it only happens when I pull into the garage and it just started happening a couple weeks ago when the sensors were replaced.

Lexus Owners Club
This post was recognized by Lexus Owners Club!

phoward47 was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 20 points.

I figured it out!  Apparently the car was reading the old sensors (some still had battery life) which were downstairs in the basement on the opposite end of the house.  I had no idea they could transmit that far.  I disposed of the old sensors and the problem is gone. 

• Like 2