Lexus "blank" Keys

First of all, I DID try to do a search for "key" and "blank keys" with no success.

I was wondering if anyone had used the Lexus key blanks. I'm talking about the ones on Ebay that have the "L" logo but no remote feature. I know you can get them at the dealership for $200 and up, but I really don't need the remote feature, just a couple of spare keys. If I were to buy one of these "blanks", would I be able to take it to the dealership and have it cut? Or can any retail key copier cut these?

I just don't want to buy something that will be useless.

Thanks!

Only a lexus locksmith can cut the keys

so their is one in Canada in Toronto to supply the country

someone asked about it the other day

basicaly the cheapest possible spares are the wallet key which you can get a holder for also.

If you have your key code go to lexus parts and order one for about $15

the next is the valet one same as the wallet but with a plastic head instead on it. $25

mind you, the wallet key on pre-02 cars will not start the car.....it will only get you into the cabin. I know not whether the wallet key holder from a 02+ can be programmed for an pre-02 car.

depending on the year of the car, the valet key will start the car, but may need to be programmed like the main keys. The valet key will not get you into the trunk from the rear seat passage way nor will it open a locked glove box.

Hint for searching: alot of searches don't work because people forget to set the search time criteria. Ususally they type in a word and hit search.

I usually set the time criteria to search on "365 days ago and newer"

steviej

Only a lexus locksmith can cut the keys

so their is one in Canada in Toronto to supply the country

Is this for real? A few months ago I ordered a non-remote master key ($52) from the dealer in Va. Beach and it was ready the next day. If it was coming from the great white north they must stay up all night! :D

I got the duplicates I needed.

My local Lexus dealer wanted $70 for a non-remote duplicate and it would take 3 days turnaround, not to mention over 2 hours round trip two times just to order then to pick it up.

Fortunately, my local locksmith had Lexus blanks as well as a laser cutter. I got the duplicates made for $29 each! I am very happy to say the least. I couldn't care less about the remote feature for the duplicates, I just wanted spares to leave at the house in case I needed them.

• 1 year later...

Do they start the car as well?

I am having an issue where I have a 99 ES300 and only a valet key. Dont want to spend the $600+ to replace the entire computer, labor, programming and minimum of 2 keys through a dealer. But would like to make a copy of my valet key as a spare just in case.

My biggest question is whether you made your valet from a valet or a master key and whether it starts the car.

Thanks!