Wants Opinion, Bought 97 Ls400 For 10.5k

axecheerful

I just got an 97 LS400 with 100k miles for 10.5k. I car faxed it and it does have only 1 owner. The dealer sticker price was 12.9k, but I asked for 11k walk out price and finally got it for $11,250 (10.5k and 800 TTL). My friend noticed a minor oil leak, dent on lower rear bumper (which is not noticable). It has timing belt changed at 95k. Other than that the leather is in good condition (no cracks) and the engine is pretty smooth. I noticed some slight whirling sound which is almost unnoticable when i let go of the accelerator at 3k rpm (when the car is parked).

Is this a good buy? I'm going to check with a local lexus dealer for service history, but i doubt it the previous owner bring it to dealer for service.

I just got it yesterday...

-Touya Ace

This car does have everything (cd changer, phone) except traction control and nakamichi sound system. It's gold color, a dealer trade in. Rides very well on highway, a slight wind sound from the left window (rubber is coming off). Overall, I'm satisfied with the car. It's just that the small oil leak is bothering me, and the fact that the dealer let me have it for 10.5k without much persuasion (abt 1/2 hr)while the private party for it is 12.5k. Prolly, dealer got it at 8.5k-9k.

Oh ya, i checked out the VIN on every panel. All of them has the VIN except for the trunk. That's weird. Btw, is VIN on panel easily reproducible even when the panel has been replaced?

BTW, this is the link to the car.

97 w/100k in that price range doesn't come by very often! congrat on the great buy.

however, do drive it to dealler for a complete check, and do make sure there was no salvage/flood title/major accident recorded in the car history.

Well from carfax there's no accident history/salvage title.

I asked Lexus of Austin for a complete buyer inspection but they wouldn't do that.

:angry:

Anyways, i'm going there to see for any previous record of services of the car.

Thanks for ur reply! At least someone assured me it was a good buy.

I was pretty rushed yesterday n i thought i made a wrong decision...

Based on what you know and have told us so far, it sounds like a good deal. You bought it for less than the dealer was asking, and can use the savings to check the oil leak and to fix it if need be.

The 95,000 mile service was important. Don't worry about the 100,000 miles on it. If its been taken care of, it should go another 100,000 easy. From the picture, it's a nice looking car. Congratulations. Keep us posted on how it works out.

I think I heard a slight squeaking sound while braking at a low speed. May be I need to check on the brake pads. Any good places to buy online? Does it have to be lexus specific?

Oh yea I also noticed that the tires are all brand new, bridgestone I think.

Well at least just used for a few months. Rotor is still in good condition too, no warping.

Sounds like a good deal. I would be concerned about that oil leakage. Sounds like cause for concern. I have never heard of a 100K mile Lexus with a oil leak. Do you currently have any idea where it is leaking?

acf, u might be right.

That car was indeed leased out by lexus of austin.

I guess I shouldn't have to worry too much.

Also my friend saw the oil leak (I think he didn't see it leaking, but oil leftover from the bottom of the car). It might be caused by over filling engine oil. I drove it around and then left it standing for a while, I didnt see any oil dropping from the car. Is over filling harmful? What should I do?

Also my friend saw the oil leak (I think he didn't see it leaking, but oil leftover from the bottom of the car). It might be caused by over filling engine oil. I drove it around and then left it standing for a while, I didnt see any oil dropping from the car. Is over filling harmful? What should I do?

I'd bet the oil your friend saw was just a little seapage around the oil pan(very common on older LS's). If the car is not consuming an oil(drops, burning oil, leaks, etc.), I would not be concerned at all. If you think the car is overfilled, just do the oil and filter service now. It's a good measure to take with any new car anyways!

You'll have to check with the dealer as far as returning the car is concerned. ;) Is the car a Coach Edition or does just have the rims?

Here are a few Lexus part sites:

http://www.irontoad.com (alias for Thompson Lex in PA)

http://www.lexus-parts.com (Sewell Lex in TX)

https://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...=20&catalogid=1 (Park Place Lex, Plano, TX)

:cheers:

acf, u might be right.

That car was indeed leased out by lexus of austin.

I guess I shouldn't have to worry too much.

Perhaps it was oil leaking from another car?

Take it back? My guess would be no. Typically when someone sells a used car that old- it is "as-is".

Hopefully you still have the "Buyer's Guide" that the dealer by law must provide with the car. Its usually taped to it on the lot. Read it carefully, it will say "as-is" on it if it is.

If your problem turns out to be MAJOR then you may be able to get the FTC or a state agency to help you out. Or you may need a lawyer...

OMG, the LS400 wouldn't start anymore :(

I called the dealer (Charles Mound) and they are very slow at responding.

They told me to jump start the car and drive it there to the dealer so that they can have a look at it.

I think this problem is not caused by battery because all the electronics are working fine. They are not dimmed when I turn the key on. Does anyone know if I can damage the car when I jump start the car and it has a problem other than battery? Most likely, fuel pump/starter.

It just click, no crancking sound. Previous day, it wouldn't start on the first try. Now it doesnt start at all.

Pls help... : :(

Oh yea, when I turned on the car to 1 click before ignition, I heard some squeaking sound... I read somewhere that the suspension is activated during this time. What other alternatives do y'all think?

I might have to return this car if it has so much problems.

The car is sold "as-is" by the dealer T_T

I should've brought it to a mechanic and not trust the dealer.

Could still be the battery as it takes more current to turn the car over than run the electronics. Make sure you are getting good contact b/w the battery cable clamps and the terminals. Clamps may be busted or need tightening.

Umm... so, after checking if the clamp to the battery terminal is good, should I go ahead jump start the car? Would it damage any electronics? Any special procedure I should follow? Thanks ACF for the prompt answer

I got it to the dealer and they are going to fix it. :)

I reported several other problems... hopefully they'll fix those too :)

I got another car to drive, while they're fixing those problems.

Very good dealer, much better than Audi's at least!!!

I got it to the dealer and they are going to fix it. :)

I reported several other problems... hopefully they'll fix those too :)

I got another car to drive, while they're fixing those problems.

Very good dealer, much better than Audi's at least!!!

Hi axecheerful,

How can i contact you? Iam about to purchase a car from lexus of austin. same yr and model. but they asking 11,500. I need your advice. ramajon@aol.com