Steering Clunk

lexus400

Hi, I have a '91 LS with 150k on it. I started noticing a "clunk" when hitting bumps and thought it was the tie rod ends (felt a little play). I replaced both the inner/outer on the side where I thought I felt the play but it's still there. It feels like the play is in the rack itself ? I know anything is possible but is that likely ?

The rack doesn't leak at all. I called Jose at newlexusparts.com to get a price on a rack but he thought I should look elsewhere first. What's the best way to isolate play in the suspension ? Right now I have the car on ramps and I'm having my wife move the wheel back and forth a little. The car had upper and lower control arms replaced at 55k and the "u-joint" that's on the steering shaft just a few inches above the rack itself. Any thoughts appreciated...

Bob

P.S. - I have new struts and strut bushings on the way but don't think that will

fix this problem.

Common problem. My 1990 LS with 231K does this too. I have heard it is the front bushings and it is $$$ to replace. Not suprising though- everything about these cars are expensive to repair. :rolleyes: Good luck.

I checked it over and it's definitely not control arms. It's either the rack or u joints

on the steering shaft. I had a little bit of fluid come out of the dust boots when

I took them off to do the tie rods - is that normal seepage from the rack ? Do they wear out/get sloppy with a 150k ?

I checked it over and it's definitely not control arms.

control arms make a different sound. my 94 with 167k needs upper control arms. they dont make sound when going over bumps or anything like that, only when turning at slow speeds (idle speed or below). also, they dont make a 'clunking' sound. the sound control arms make is more of a 'creaking' sound, similar to the sound heard when walking on floors in old houses with loose floor boards.

I checked it over and it's definitely not control arms.

control arms make a different sound. my 94 with 167k needs upper control arms. they dont make sound when going over bumps or anything like that, only when turning at slow speeds (idle speed or below). also, they dont make a 'clunking' sound. the sound control arms make is more of a 'creaking' sound, similar to the sound heard when walking on floors in old houses with loose floor boards.

Sometimes after I back up and press the brakes, when I go forward, the front suspension will make a "POP" noise when I first apply the brakes.

as a person who has replace all of the front suspension on my ls i will put my bets on lower ball joints(if they have not already been changed), inner tie rods which have been changed strut arm bushings, and swaybar bushings, both of which are relatively cheap. upper arms really dont wear that much. and in hawaii there are some mean pot holed roads and after 140k miles of that the uppers werent that bad but i changed them anyway. and if you still have the original struts then that could also be, or be contributing to the noise.

• 2 weeks later...

TO ALL WITH FRONT END "CLUNKING" - Just wondering- does your car "clunk" more when the roads are wet? Mine really makes a loud racket when it is wet out. Does not make sense. You would think that the water would quieten it down. :unsure: Its very annoying to say the least..... :wacko:

Thanks for that link and information- Do you know how difficult / expensive that is to replace? Is this the $800 repair I have heard about? Do a lot of parts have to come apart? Sorry for the ignorance. :wacko: I just know nothing at all about repairing front suspension. :)

Thanks again!!

the strut arm bushing can be changed in a matter of an hour. after jacking the car up and taking the tire off its a matter of 5 nuts. the ball joint is a matter 2 bolts and having to use a ball joint puller.

Thanks for that link and information- Do you know how difficult / expensive that is to replace? Is this the $800 repair I have heard about? Do a lot of parts have to come apart? Sorry for the ignorance. :wacko: I just know nothing at all about repairing front suspension. :)

Thanks again!!

Yes, lower ball joint and frot strut rod bushings is about $800 dealer service for front end (l & r).....

I think Jzz can help you out if you want to try it! Very doable over the weekend.

Parts around $300 I imagine.....