A/c Cabin Filter

Can you make your own? Yes.

Can you make it even remotely as effective as the correct part? No.

Can you live without it? Might as well.

If you don't want to replace it properly, just take it out. Breathe in all that dust and dirt. It's good for you!

It's in the top, back of the glove box. Remove the panel and behind it is a similarly sized door. Slide out filter here.

P.S. You're not saving anything by getting something unequal to a genuine, quality filter; you're just wasting whatever you are paying.

I read numerous threads on the issue and opted to try to make one. They are about $24.00 at the local toyota place but, well it's $24.00. I went to Lowes and got a 3M HEPA filter 30x 30 inches (was on clearance for $6.00). I took my wire cutters and scissors and cut the frame (both sides) to dimension and then removed the AC filter from the AC filter frame (you will know what this is when you remove it). I placed my creation in it and ran it for 1 week and removed to inspect. There was no breakdown in the corregation of the HEPA material and the mesh frame was intact (I was worried about the air pressure when the AC is on full). The air quality is very good and smells fresh, unlike the smell I had with the old gunked-up filter. Given the choice I would replace with a lexus filter but this works well and I can make 4 for the $6.00 investment, which is economically appealing to me, especially since I spent a heap on detailing stuff to keep the outside pretty.

So far has worked great and my experience is in line with other posts I have seen. Good luck.

thanks for the post. i will try to make one myself. after looking at the oem filter, it doesn't look to difficult. looks like a filter and foam corners.

i can buy a filter from home depot or lowes and foam corners all for under 20.00 which will probally have materials for four replacments.

i know the filter quality will not be as good as oem, but it's worth a try.

I did not use the foam frame on the replacement that I made (considered it but experimented without). The corrugated filter material with the 3M filter mesh beneath it created a sturdy piece of material that did not lose its shape. I trimmed it so that it was exactly within tolerance of the plastic OEM filter frame and has worked very well. I will not be trying to modify the design with foam (as in the OEM) because the return of time will not improve the DIY version for me. I do not have tremendous amounts of spare time and the filter I made took 1 1/4 hours (did I say the tolerances were exact?) much to the disgust of my wife who was waiting for me to finish.

If you find a better way to do this easily and inexpensively, please share it with us. When I win the lottery, I will buy an OEM filter, until then, I will make mine. Good luck.

Hey all:

The filter that I made worked but not optimally. :whistles: I find that particles do get past the filter without the foam border, as was suggested. The interior of my vehicle has become dustier since changing out the VERY dirty Acc filter and replacing it with my creation. My attitude now is that I do not have the requisite time necessary to fabricate a filter with the foam bordering to create the necessary seal to avoid the dust/dirt from getting in to the cabin, so I am purchasing one. I tried the DIY but results were not agreeable after 3 weeks of use...I don't even want to think of what it would be like after 1 year (recommended changing timeframe). Thanks for all the comments and experiences.

• 2 weeks later...
i just read something about these filter being "charged" with carbon or something in some cars. does anyone know anything more on this?

I used the 3M filter from Walmart along with a charcoal filter for oven vents

$5) sandwitched in between. Works great...not a spec of dust. Further, when I drive by a skunk or something smelly, the smell is significantly reduced (charcoal). I made the filter slightly bigger than specs such that it would form a nice seal with the extra filter cloth material.

So for about $can20 I have 4 charcoal filters. After about a month I am still very happy and I have yet to sneeze in the car...I have severe pollen allergies. :D

Further, when I drive by a skunk or something smelly, the smell is significantly reduced (charcoal).

Haha. I have never even considered this as a potential problem. I don't see any skunks where I live. :D

Further, when I drive by a skunk or  something smelly, the smell is significantly reduced (charcoal).

Haha. I have never even considered this as a potential problem. I don't see any skunks where I live. :D

We have tonnes of skunks near our home at Thousand Islands. I just stepped over a dead one last night...I am not joking.

• 9 years later...

has anyone replaced theirs? can you make your own? if so how?

i would like to save 50.00 if i can do this myself. how do you access this filter?

I just purchased a 1995 ES300 and I just found the door after pulling back the driver side carpet. Saw the white plastic wall to the right of the gas pedal and began removing the two "Mickey Mouse" plastic black phillip's head screws. I found the thin white filter door at the back and un-clipped that.NO FILTER either! What the heck? Can't even stick my small hand inside to remove debris! I used a vacuum, but the door opening is elongated and so I got no suction from the vacuum. I tried a stick and screw driver to try and remove debris, but good luck with that. I will have to go to the gas station and try and blow the debris out. Even being a small guy (5'2") I don't see how an engineer designed this and expected anyone to maintain it?

I attached a cardboard paper towel roll to the vacuum nozzle with duct tape. Then squeezed it flat and stuck it in the filter slot. Being careful not to scrape the back of the AC aluminium fins. This worked great.

Here is a link to the installation pictures that I took.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/btsoxu3yyxnq7r2/AADA1Klye2tJASEe7gx63N59a

P.S:

You can purchase the filter from several places on the internet. But these guys are really good. Plus, the site is easy to find everything for your Lexus!

http://www.rockauto.com/

FILTER:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=870159&cc=1316093