Synthetic Oil Reccommendations

What if you do your own oil change (say.. every 5K), and if somehow it gelled anyway, then how would you prove to Lexus your proper oil change history? Just wondering.  :)

You don't have to be concerned about "what ifs" like that because oil gelling will not occur if the oil is changed at least every 5000 miles or 6 months. There isn't a single owner report of gelling on this forum or any other the other 10 Toyota forums I monitor when the owner changed the oil every 3000-5000 miles and owned the car since it was new. There have been a couple bogus reports - owners who claimed they changed the oil on time and still got gelling, but these same owners went and hid in the closet when asked to post photos of their oil change receipts.

Could be right but that is not spelled out in the Lexus Gelling Documents (Letters) or in their (your) car manual. Mine do not even give a milage to adhere to, to prevent anything....Nevermind that 3K is 60% less then what Lexus reccomands in their manuals...if that means anything.

Again do what makes gives you are a "warm and fuzzy". Outof 3.3 million cars only around 3,300 have had the problem so far. That is less the 1% of cars are/were effected.

BINGO!

Guess a lot of people are still scared about oil changes.....We can put a man on the moon back in the 60's but we still do 1960 oil changes....ummmm

Do what makes you happy that is all that matter....just keep ths "slips" to prove you were happy :D :D :D

This gets WAY to serious here....

Yep do whatever floats your boat.

My boat floats fine using 5w30w Amsoil with 5-7K miles for changes. which is actually excessive.

Use a good quality K&N air filter or simular, an excellent oil filter, and you are GTG.

BTW the only difference between 5w30w & 10W30W is the 5W flows a bit better at start up.

Initial start up happens to be when you get allot of your engine wear.

They are both still SAE 30W @ 100deg

Here is about all you need to know about oil, down at bottom around page 156 or so they have all the various oils rated.

http://motor-oil-bible.com/mob-2-2-04.pdf

Your Lexus should have come with a maintenance schedule that outlines the oil change intervals, mine did, as did my father's 98 LS400 and his new 04 LS430. That is what Lexus goes back to if you experience a gelling concern.

I haven't heard anything from Lexus as to what you need either, but I do know people and have seen members here try and get Lexus to cover a gelling concern and know that they were asked for oil change reciepts or reciepts for purchased oil if they did it themselves. No reciepts equalled no warranty coverage.

As for 5W 30 vs 10W30, Lexus reccomends 5W 30, so I use 5W 30. The dealership uses whatever they got the best deal on in bulk, not what operates the best. I always furnish my own oil anyways.