New Paint Job?

I got some money back from the insurance company for an accident that occured a while ago. Nothing bad really happened to the car, I just have to replace the drivers side high beam. The front bumber has just been scracthed up. After I buy a replacement light, i'll have like $1,000 left. How much does a paint job in a new color usually cost? I'm not sure if I have enough money so thats why im wondering. I see places like maaco advertise on TV, but I heard peple say their paint is crappy.

do NOT bother with maaco....can u say false advertising? Well yes, they advertise paint for $400 or something, which is bull crap....anyways best bet is find a pop and mom place that does good work, look at the cars the are painting and see how they come out.....then tell them you want to paint ur car but will be uing your own money so u want a good price, not insurance price....

I got my car repainted (same color though) for $1000 but they also did some good body work that was needed.

Important thing, make sure they use OEM quality paint, and I would get 2 clear coats as well for extra protection. Maybe $150 extra but well worth it.

You can probably get the paint job in a new color for a little over $1,000 just shop arround, someone good will do it....specially if u dont have body work to worry about...

good luck!

thanks for the advice sean vance. Sometime this week or next week i'll go asking around for prices. Ive seen alot of auto body collision places around where i live, so im assuming they can do repaints. I really want a whole new color, but to that guy who said he was quoted 2k-3k, I may have WANTED to get my car repainted a different color too :D :P

I was quoted 3k for a show finish repaint. This is buy a guy who does frame off restorations. DuPont Premier black - thick clear and wet sand. Most likely going down this winter. That price includes shaving emblems and repairing slight blemishes as a well as some custom items.

is 3 grand really that much considering the work that goes into it? If i was repainting my car a different color, I would tear the car apart and paint EVERYTHING that was originally painted, and im guessing the 3 grand includes them taking your car apart (close to down to the chassis) and reinstall...Plus, if you dont repaint everything, there goes your resale value! resale value is already dampered by repainting, let a good paint job stand for your lexus :)

i paint a little and yea i would charge 2-3 grand for a whole car if it were a show finish because of the work that goes in it. the most time consuming part is the prep. getting the surface perfect before spraying is key for a nice paint job. spraying isnt really that hard, even pearl and stuff, its not that hard to make it look good. add to that some 7-10 coats of clear :lol: ( i like it thick) also with out a controlled environment orange peel is bound to happen. then hit it with some wet sanidng and polish and you wont believe what you can do. but anyway if you want to paint your car spend good money on it and 2-3k is the right amount. they wll pull glass, trim, and if your motor is pulled they will do a good engine bay too. you cant expect much for a grand ;)

Yes, I was quoted 2-3K as well at my friend's body shop for a total tear down repaint job.

I am not too sure if it is worth it for my aged SC at over 210K miles...

If I had a rather fresh engine and wanted a hotter color, I would spend that 3K!

I dream of a red hot or deep black SC~