Real 2005 Es330 Facelift Photos!

Not bad at all actually.

I'm REALLY dissapointed they didn't change the wheels. IMO this is the weakest point of the ES' design. I had heard they were going to do some 17s but I guess not. Oh well.

The new front fascia is nice. The round fogs will take some getting used to but they do make the front look more aggressive. The new grille is hideous, the current one is much better looking. The headlights aren't bad, projector lighting is much prefered to reflector but the look will take some getting used to.

The rear. I like the new taillights, not neccisarily more than the current ones but they're nice. They seem to have an interesting lighting pattern. If the price isn't too bad I might be persuaded to swap them on mine in a couple years if I get bored. The tiny chrome strip on the trunk bar over the license plate looks GREAT! I've long thought the ES needed that and will definately buy that part for my car.

The interior. New steering wheel w/audio controls, LOVE IT! Why this didnt come on the ES when it came out in 03 I couldn't tell you. Sadly though I doubt that will retrofit to older cars. I can see a voice activation button on it for the nav which means obviously voice activated nav but sadly no phone button which means no bluetooth connectivity like the RX is getting. The new color of the trim is a little strange, seems to stand out more than the current color which blends in and flows. Sort of garish. The addition of the blond wood on the ivory interior looks very nic, it goes better than the reddish wood which looks best on gray and black.

Overall I like it, its not going to get me out of my 03 but it might make me order a couple parts. I'm happy they haven't changed it too much. I'll look forward to seeing the redesign in 06 or 07. I've seen the facelifted Camry in person and they did a nice job with that as well.

Whats everyone else think?

Not a current ES owner, but here's my opinion,

Overall, the old front end was better. I really like the new headlights, and the round fogs, but that horrible looking grille ruins the whole design. The new tailights are a dissapointment too. I think the current ones look more jewel-like and expensive. The new ones scream Corolla or something, not sure what. As for the interior, i'm not sure what you mean by new trim? I'm also still surprised they haven't done something with the navigation system. While most high end cars have a navigation screen that looks integrated into the center console, the ES's almost looks like an aftermarket system stuck into the dash. I understand this is partly because the screen flips down to reveal the CD player, but it just looks unfinished...am I the only one that thinks this? I do like the new steering wheel with audio controls. I've driven a few cars with it, and it's awesome.

Overall, I think I like the current ES better. They seemed to dumb down the styling with the '05. The grille, the taillights...they all look more basic than the current ones. It's not too drastic of a change though, and I still think both versions make for a great looking car.

I heard a few other people say the same thing about the taillights, that the design is more generic looking and less unique than the current round turn signal in the middle of the lamp. I also agree about the grille.

The trim on the inside around the center stack and nav system and around the door handles is now a bright silver finish instead of the darker charcoal it is now. I'll try and find a picture for comparison.

I heard a few other people say the same thing about the taillights, that the design is more generic looking and less unique than the current round turn signal in the middle of the lamp. I also agree about the grille.

The trim on the inside around the center stack and nav system and around the door handles is now a bright silver finish instead of the darker charcoal it is now. I'll try and find a picture for comparison.

I personally like the design of the nav system but thats a cost-saving feature. The same head unit can now be used in multiple vehicles and it is, its used in the Camry, Sienna, Solara, 4 Runner, and the ES.

Oh yeah, now I see the difference. The new trim is much brighter. I'm not sure which I like better, I think I like the current charcoal better, but I'll have to reserve judgement until I see the new one in person.

No the engine should stay the same. When they totally redesign the car in 06 or 07 it should have an ES400h hybrid version with closer to 270 or so HP.

I'm also not totally sold on the headlights, the new ones look sort of bug-ish. Gotta wait until I see one in person to make final judgement.

I'm just so dissapointed in the wheels, I was hoping for some better looking wheels I could install on my car in the correct size.

Unfortunately I've also heard that the reddish stained wood that is so unique on the ES will be replaced with an ordinary walnut on grey and black interiors. Thats a real shame as that wood is one of my favorite parts of the car.

I also hear that we WILL get a 17 inch 5 spoke wheel as standard, maybe the Japan spec cars are keeping the original 16s? Not to thrilled with the idea of 17s as that will effect the ride of the car...

The projector headlights look like fisheyes in those housings.

The Subaru Outback/Solara fog lights don't go with the curvature of the front.

The grille looks like ...................I am at a loss. I just don't like the front.

The rest is pretty decent. I guess we have to wait and see what lands on our shores.

Steve, I second the steering wheel. Love It!!!!!

steviej

Is the gear shifter in the new ES changed? Because in the older one there is wood on it and the new one is only wrapped in leather. The front bumper with the round lights look better, I think. The new steering wheel is preaty nice too, it just looks more high-tech with the buttons and all.

:cheers:

btw: What is that square thing on the front bumper of the new ES for?

Nope the shifters the same. It depends on the package, the black interior pic doesnt have the wood/leather wheel (notice it also has cloth seats) but the ivory one does have the wood/leather wheel and shifter.

All the new Lexus have that square panel on the bumper, it pops off to reveal a place to screw in a tow hook. I think its a new car regulation, the 02-04 ES has it too.

I'm impressed! I really like it except for the grill and the Toyota hood emblem - it looks too high due to the larger grill. And what's up with the square cut-out to the left of the license plate on the front bumper? Seems an odd place for that...

Otherwise, I wouldn't mind having one for myself! :)

DG

Personally I love the new front end styling. I was not a fan of the new ES ever since it was released. I can't stand the bulge in the headlights and blah styling on the current models.

This redesign is definitely a step in the right direction. The new round fog lights look more in place with the curves on the car. Contrary to others, I like the new grille too. It is almost a throwback to the 1st gen ES300 grille with a reference to the current LS as well. The new headlights are a huge improvement (bye bye bugeye), but somehow remind me of the G35. The tail lights are OK, but not spectacular.

I think it looks more like the LS than any time before, and I think that is what they are trying to deliver to some extent - a baby LS at a good price. That is one thing the '02-'04's are good at.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the pictures!

I had no idea how much I liked the lights (front and rear) on my 2004 ES330 until I saw the 2005. As stated earlier the Solara front and Corolla rear will, IMHO do the car no favors in the US market. :censored: I too do not like the Toyota emblem on the front.

I love the fact that audio controls will be on the wheel. I would love that feature on my car. As for the wheels, I like the current wheel look, but not enough to say it should not be changed. However, I am not sure how much you can change the wheels before you change the character of the car. Just like the lights, you can really screw with the look of the car.

• 3 weeks later...
I too do not like the Toyota emblem on the front.

That's because it's a picture of a Toyota Windom, perhaps? ;)

The 'Lexus' nameplate does not exist in Japan...at least not yet. Toyota will introduce 'Lexus' to the JDM next year, or in 2006, I believe.