Putting On Angel Eyes and "Clearing Corners"

I agree here . . . I used 1/4 watt 220OHM resistors instead of the 1/2 watt (because that was all I could find) and that could be why my lights are not as bright. It's too late for me now though, cause my lights are already together :(

Bryan

You're missing the point that the resistors have to be matched to the LEDs, not just what that guy used on his site. Unless your LEDs match his exactly, then you could use the same resistors. Otherwise use the formula that he gives and calculate the correct Ohm rating.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont know if ure risisters had anything to do with it,b\c when i put my led light straight to the battery,it was jsut as bright as if i put a risister on. do you guys think my led is bright enough...read above stats on it.

oh and to the other guy,what forumula??

heres a pic of the led in the dark,without risister.

post-7-1088789527.jpg

and this is after resister,u can see just a little differenceif u look really close. u guys think its enough

and also whats something i can hook these up to in the car that will always get a constant flow(and what voltage does that thing provide)

isnt the parking light,only comon when ure parked,so i cant use that.

post-7-1088789633.jpg

oh and what LED lights did u use,like their voltage\and mcd(1100)? b\c if u used eact mcd as he said he used,then saposably mine are going to be brighterby two times(im using 2600)

oh and another thing,one of the sides is going to be rivited,obviously. but where should i put that side ,in accordince to glueing the rodonto the projectors. should i put it in from? on of the sides?

alright first i want to ask isonce i hook up everything how can i make it so that like the inner ones turn on with one switch and the outer ones with another. i understand that i have to buy a switch from radio shack(i tihnk from there) then take the wiring from the eyes and hook it up to the corresponding switches and then take wiring from the other end of the switch and hook it up to (what should i hook it up to ,so that i can turn them on anytime i want to with the switch). how doio get the switches insidew the cabben though??? and where do u guys think woudl be a good place to put it. right now im thinking everwhere else would be either too hard or ugly,so ill just but them by the pedals,where noone can see them.

anyone know any advice on that??

oh and how far apart did u make the rivets,and u made them b4 u melted the sticks right(i think u said u did,just making sure)

Edited by kyle0k

i dont know if ure risisters had anything to do with it,b\c when i put my led light straight to the battery,it was jsut as bright as if i put a risister on. do you guys think my led is bright enough...read above stats on it.

oh and to the other guy,what forumula??

heres a pic of the led in the dark,without risister.

Hey Kyle,

Yeah, I did the same little experiment by hooking the LED straigh to the battery and got the same results. . . same brightness either way. I did destroy my one extra LED this way . . . hooking them up without a resistor is definitely not good for the LED bulbs. I'm just glad that I bought an extra one.

I'm not even sure what resistors I used. I bought them at an electronic liquidator, and unfortunately the specs weren't available. They were just listed as ultra bright, and they are indeed very bright bulbs. I just messed up somewhere in the Angel Eye, or that is simply as good as they are going to get without getting into expensive BMW-style conversions . . .

Regards,

Bryan

and also whats something i can hook these up to in the car that will always get a constant flow(and what voltage does that thing provide)

isnt the parking light,only comon when ure parked,so i cant use that.

Yes, it is the parking/signal light. It works, because I use it. The parking lights are ALWAYS on when you car is on. When in the Parking Light setting, only the parking lights come on. When in the Driviing light setting, the parking lights and low beams are on. When in the High Beam setting, the parking lights, low beams, and high beams are on. Do you understand? There is always some juice going to the parking/signal lights. It is 12 Volts.

No worries man. If you want you angel eyes on ALL of the time, just hook into the wiring just before the signal/parking light wiring harness as I described earlier. And also, don't worry, 'cause the angel eyes will not blink with the signals either. They will always be in a constant glow . . .

Regards,

Bryan

oh and another thing,one of the sides is going to be rivited,obviously. but where should i put that side ,in accordince to glueing the rodonto the projectors. should i put it in from? on of the sides?

I did a little bit of experimenting in a dark room for this. It turns out that the ring is brightest if the riveted side is at the back (i.e. the riveted side is glued to the projector housing). It was contrary to my initial hypothesis, but it seems to work. I guess the light refracts in the rod a little bit, giving it a brighter look or something . . . but I'm not too sure why. It's been a long time since I have done Physics :P

Regards,

Bryan

oh and how far apart did u make the rivets,and u made them b4 u melted the sticks right(i think u said u did,just making sure)

When I did my riveting, I tried to put them about 2 millimeters apart, but I have no scientific reason to offer for this. It's just what I did. You really want to be sure that you stay as consistant as possible, or it will look kind of weird.

And yes, I riveted my rods before I melted and molded them into the circular shape. It's just easier to do it on a straight stick than it is on a circular one. You could rivet after bending the rods into shape . . . it's your choice.

Regards,

Bryan

damn,i wont be able to do this for atleast a month or 2 now,b\c my dad is begin stupid. but i cant wait that long:( especially after seeing how sweet it looks.

That sucks Kyle :(

You seemed pretty pumped to get this mod underway. Does your Dad not think it is such a safe project to do? I know my entire family laughed at me when I told them I was going to "bake" my headlights :) They laughed even more when I screwed up :P Oh well . . . we learn by mistakes :)

The lesson: PREHEAT THE OVEN :P

Regards,

Bryan

bdonker, nice job on the lights. I would do it if I had the patience and if they were visible with the headlights on.... :lol:

Thanks Juan . . . it was a bit of work, however, nothing was terribly difficult. It was just a little time consuming. If I could have avoided wrecking my one light assembly, the job would have went a lot faster.

It is too bad that you can't see them while driving. I really wish they were three times as bright as they are :P I wonder if I messed up somewhere, or if that is just as good as they are going to get without doing any expensive BMW-style modification?

Regards,

Bryan

Can the angel eyes be place on the Gen. I GS300s?

Yeah, I am pretty sure the Gen I GS300 has only one projector lens. That just means he has only about half the work to do :P It should still look pretty neat. I wonder if someone can get theirs to light up brighter than mine . . . .

Regards,

Bryan

yea,my dad just LAUGHED that im stupid enough to put something plastic inside the oven like that ,but i convinced him that that wont happen. now he thinks though that since im not a expert electricion i will mess up somehow and the whole cars electronical system will fail andf burn out,from me short circuiting somewhere.

well no matter ill be able to do this mod wether he wants me too or not,in a month or so.

oh and you know what,i tihnk u cant see the eyes while the lights are turned on for a simple reason. think about it,when u turn on the lights the projector makes it go everywhere and the eye is right there so obviouisly the light will go into the ring and refract just as the blue LED would. but obviously the headlights are much more powerfull then the blue LED so it sorta makes the blue look non existant. dont know how BMW goes around this,actually think i might know,we have ours pasted onto INFRONT of the headlead\projector, i think they have it actually around it and BEHIND where the lioght actually goes out.

thats my theary on it atleast,might be wrong.

Yes, I already understood why you couldn' see the eyes in the daylight. The is why I explained that, if you were really serious, you would probably have to blacken the mirror part of the light assembly.

That's funny about your dad :) My Dad thought it was OK, but my siblings and friends thought I was stupid to try it :P

Regards,

Bryan

go to the picture in the gallery. click on the thumbnail of the picture (the small version you see with other picutres on one page). When the picture opens large and is the only one on your screen, right click, then left click on Properties. Then copy the compleete http:// address of your picture. (include the htt:// part too.)

go back to the post that you want to place the picture. Go in the posting box, get to where you want to place the pic. Click the IMG button. When the window opens, paste in the copied address of the picture. Then click OK, to close the IMG window and place the picture in the post.

good luck,

steviej

omfg i locw rgw look aoooooooo muxh,i am so excited till i finally can.

no you see my dad liikes cars and stuffand he is really good with them. but he is one of those,if it gets me from point A to B then dont modify it! lol but in a month or hopefully less i will be able to do this. im saving up the last liek 400 bucks for 6 month insurance advance that hew wants b4 he gives it to me solely instead of share with him. but that should take me about 3 more weeks or so,b\c i work enough hours but i also liek spending money on other things:).