Starting Troubles-1997 Lx450

Andrewsreef

My truck has 76k on it and this problem has been an issue for several months now and becoming a real PITA.

When I go to start my truck after it has been sitting for a while, I turn the key and all my idiot lights come on as normal but when I turn it to start, I get one click and nothing happens. If I let off the key and do it again, sometimes it will do the same thing and after a 3rd time it will usually start. When it clicks, the starter does not turn over at all. This is not a low battery type of multi-click at all but more of a sound like the starter solinoid is failed to engage the starter or something. I took it to my mechanic and he could not find anything wrong as he could not get it to do this with his "machine" connected. Also, I am on Battery #3 in 6 months. Just had to replace it yesterday as they seem to slowly die. Again, no signs of lights or anyting else being on. I also had my charging system checked and they said it was fine. Any ideas on this as it is driving me nuts. I am temped to change the starter but at $300 I would like some more evidence.

Thanks

Andrew

I have had a similar problem with an old 4 Runner that I had. I would often times not start and if I let it be for a bit, I would start. No body could figure out what was the matter with it because it ALWAYS worked when I took it in. Turns the starter was bad and kept freezing up. Sounds like we have the same problem.

Steve

Ok, purchased a remanufactured starter from Advanced Auto Parts as it was only $178 compared to $325 at the dealer. I had my mechanic install it. THe only problem now is it has a different sound than the original started. Advanced told me it is a OEM starter, but now they say it will sound different as it is "remanufactured". I love it when people do not give you the real story.

I guess as long as it does not have a metal to metal sound it should be ok? Anyone else done something stupid like this to save a buck.

Thanks

Andrew

When I had an aftermarket starter installed in my '94, it had a completely different sound than OEM. Worked fine though -- in fact in cranked up faster than the OEM starter did.

My the new/reman starter in my LX 450, it sounds just like the old one did -- but this one (definitely) is a Toyota reman part.

• 2 weeks later...