AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

kiyoshi

Changing The Alternator On 2007 Rx350

13 posts in this topic

Doe anyone have a link to a good tutorial on how to change the alternator on a 2007 RX350.

Thanks.

sent you a pm...

I would like this info as well please!

Thanks in advance!

Did anyone contribute to the RX350 alternator removal inquiry? I need some guidance on this topic also.

Thank You...

I know that this thread is 2+ years old but I am stuck. Thanks for the useful info! I have gotten to the alternator and remove the bolts, could not get the tensioner to move even a tiny little amount. I pushed the alternator forward a little bit and now cannot get it out, it does not move even with a little bit of hammering :(

Please help. What do I do?

Are you saying that the tensioner is in the way of removing the alternator? Is it the tensioner pulley or the whole pulley and bracket? If it's the tensioner pulley, I think, but I'm not sure. that the pulley bolt is left-hand thread.

I don't know what's in the way, the alternator now feels cemented in. I guess the belt might be tight enough to keep the alternator in place.

Are you saying that the tensioner bolt needs to be removed by turning it clockwise?

Started turning it clockwise and it gave in very easily. I got the bolt off about 1/2 inch but the belt is still tight. Does the bolt have to be removed completely? Is there any info on how this tensioner works? Thanks a lot again!

You must remove the v-belt or you'll never get the alternator out. You need to tighten the tensioner bolt back up (counter-clockwise) and then pivot it enough to put a pin (5mm hex key or something similar) to hold it. Then remove the belt. The alternator should be able to be removed. Do yourself a favor and put a new v-belt on.

tensioner.pdf

Thank you for the factory service instructions on how to change this. I thought I'd mention my situation. I had battery light come on my 2007 RX350 with 130AMP alternator. Instrument cluster battery light would come on initially at low RPMs and then it stayed all the time.I thought it's alternator for sure. But before jumping the gun,  I had CAA guy look at the car battery's charging system and the battery and he said that both battery and the alternator tested OK. It ended up being the cables. They had so much corrosion! After cleaning the battery posts, cable clamps (with proper battery post cleaning brush) and the ends of the ground cable under the battery tray and the engine block, the cluster battery light would only stay on at low RPMs. I had to charge the battery and only after that step did the cluster battery light went away. Hope this helps some one. 

Is there a picture by picture instructions. For example, I am not sure how to follow steps 3-18..  Do we have to remove so many things to get to the alternator, and not just 3 bolts, pulley and belt? Is there a video link?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By The"jasmine"SC400
      Hey guys, I just bought my first sc400 and I have a couple questions, my biggest concern is that she keeps burning alternators i read somewhere that it might be my power steering? Or someone mentioned the valve cover cap? Any help would be greatly appreciated as i cant afford to take her to a shop, also any general tips about this car Would be awesome, thanks guys!
    • By jjc1971
      Hi all,
      New to Lexus and new to here. I did try to search but couldn't find a thread related to this. Also posted this on the wrong thread - sorry. 
      Bought a 2004 RX300 a couple of weeks ago and I've been really pleased so far. But I now have an issue. A couple of days ago the belts squeaked for about a minute but it wasn't first start up of the day so I noticed and thought that's odd.
      Since then belts have squeaked a few times and again for a minute only and not from cold.
      Yesterday got in it to leave work at 5pm and got the squeak but also the red battery light was on for the first time so I turned off all the power hungry items. After about 5 mins the battery light went out again, and then I pulled over to pick up groceries. When i restarted car started ok with no noise and no red light but no power. There was nothing to indicate it was in limp mode, no warning lights just wouldn't pull.
      Any thoughts? My initial uneducated thought is alternator. Alternator may have semi 'seized' so with the squeak yesterday was alternator refusing to turn, but then it did turn but is so stiff its basically nearly stopping the engine but it is reluctantly turning hence the battery light is out.
      Is there any way I can test the alternator? Is my theory idiotic?
      Any help greatly appreciated.
    • By jjc1971
      Hi all,
      New to Lexus and new to here. I did try to search but couldn't find a thread related to this. 
      Bought a 2004 RX300 a couple of weeks ago and I've been really pleased so far. But I now have an issue. A couple of days ago the belts squeaked for about a minute but it wasn't first start up of the day so I noticed and thought that's odd.
      Since then belts have squeaked a few times and again for a minute only and not from cold.
      Yesterday got in it to leave work at 5pm and got the squeak but also the red battery light was on for the first time so I turned off all the power hungry items. After about 5 mins the battery light went out again, and then I pulled over to pick up groceries. When i restarted car started ok with no noise and no red light but no power. There was nothing to indicate it was in limp mode, no warning lights just wouldn't pull.
      Any thoughts? My initial uneducated thought is alternator. Alternator may have semi 'seized' so with the squeak yesterday was alternator refusing to turn, but then it did turn but is so stiff its basically nearly stopping the engine but it is reluctantly turning hence the battery light is out.
      Is there any way I can test the alternator? Is my theory idiotic?
      Any help greatly appreciated.

• By thechauffeur
      Looking for some ideas on what to do next. I have a 1993 ES 300 that I've owned for just about 3 years, and have had tons of electrical problems with. I am the third owner and it came with a huge file of receipts for maintenance and work done over the years, it all looked pretty normal - nothing alarming.
      Since purchase I have replaced the battery and alternator 2x each. Here are the problems/steps taken so far:
      Battery kept dying; replaced battery under warranty - everything is good for approximately 3-6 months New battery started dying, did some at-home testing/readings with my "car guy"; replaced the alternator with a used one from local junkyard - everything is good for a few more months Battery continues to have problems with dying, took car into local Japanese auto place with good reviews. They diagnosed the issue as a short in the CD player draining the battery; disconnected CD player - everything's good for a few more months. Battery continues to have problems, assume the battery got fried from the bad alternator/short draining it; replace battery again, good for several more months Start having battery/dying problems again; confirmed alternator is failing with my "car guy", replace with another junkyard alternator - good for approximately 3 months Present day, my car will not start and is difficult to jump to boot. When it does get jumped and runs, everything charges up the way it should - it just doesn't maintain charge. During this time I've experienced a lot of other odd little electrical problems. My headlights dim slightly when I brake or use the power windows. Dome light stopped working, though I assumed that was just a burnt out bulb - have not bothered replacing so not totally sure there. Some lights on my dash/stereo that used to work have stopped working. I've noticed that the numbers on the clock are not displaying quite right; there are bits of other number parts remaining when there shouldn't be (if that makes sense). My antenna has a hard time going up and down, and at this point does not go up/down at all. One of the back windows doesn't roll down and hasn't since I got it, but I have just assumed that was a burnt out motor that I didn't care to replace. At this point I imagine it's all connected though.
      I make sure to turn off all systems/lights/etc before turning off my car, there is nothing basic like that that is draining the battery. The car never dies while I am driving it, but when I start to have problems it'll be slow to turn over when starting, and eventually stops starting at all.
      Not sure where to go from here. I'm apprehensive to take it back to the Japanese auto place I've been before since they just diagnosed it as a short in my CD player when clearly there is a bigger problem. I tried to get in with another local mechanic that everyone swears by, but they are booked out for 2 weeks. The nearest Lexus service center is over 50 miles away. I have considered ordering a rebuilt alternator through a vendor, but think it will likely be a waste of money because it seems there is likely a larger problem at play.
      If anyone has had similar experiences or has thoughts on what to look into as the source of the issues, I'm all ears. Thank you!
    • By dlogvine
      My wife's Rx330 has about 150k miles and recently started failing in various places. First the starter gave up and stopped engaging. Replaced it, but after a little while a 2.5 year old battery also failed. Replaced it as well but decided to check up an alternator. It also failed the test, was generating about 13.3v output. So I'm going to take it out today and replaced it as well. The question I have is the following, what could have caused such a massive failure? I understand that bad alternator could cause the battery to go bad and vice verse but why the starter then? Could there be some underlying other problem? Also after I replaced the battery, the windows in the back and front passenger side stopped opening from the drivers console, but are opening from each door controls. Thank you