Headlight Cover Oxidation

rswansbro

My 2004 Lexus RX330 headlight covers are becoming very clouded to the point of interfering with headlight efficiency. I have seen where the clear plastic can be polished with an abrasive liquid but I am not sure that is the best option. What are my options?

there are many commercial kits available on the market that have different degrees of success at improving the lense. I have used scatch out on mine in the past and have had good results...some have used the kits and also had good success, anything will probably be an improvement at what you have now. Even good old toothpaste with a polishing disk could give desired results....I read an article with Consumers report, but cant remember which kit gave the best results. good luck

I use a Crystal View kit to restore my headlight lenses - don't know why it wasn't covered in the Consumer Report article lenore mentioned. I would expect some other headlight lens restoration kits would work as well or better. Many like Crystal View have a clear sealer to use as the final step. I've restored the lenses on my 00 LS400 three times over the past five or six years and each time the lenses have come out looking like new. For some reason the curb side lens deteriorates faster than the driver side. One of the refinish jobs was after someone rammed the right side lens with a shopping cart.

Here are before and after photos of the right side lens from September 2012.

Edit: It took only about 10 minutes of work to restore both headlight lenses with the Crystal View kit not including a few minutes of drying time. It's easy to gauge progress through your figuretips - similar to wet sanding between coats of lacquer automotive paint. From my experience, PlastX works only if the lens finish is still intact. Once the lens finish has begun deteriorating, the only alternative that lasts is to strip the lens finish off either with sand paper or an abrasive compound and then to apply a new finish.

post-2157-0-04416000-1352038845_thumb.jp

post-2157-0-39244700-1352038858_thumb.jp

I've had good luck with Meguiar's PlastX plastic cleaner & polish. At $10-ish for 10 fl oz, it was overpriced, as are all Meguiar's products, but it does a great job, and one bottle lasts forever. No kit, no multi-step process, no motorized polisher. Just clean any dirt off the headlight covers, apply a little PlastX using a clean cotton cloth, rub in for 10 or 15 seconds, let dry for a minute or so, and hand-buff for a few seconds using a cotton terry cloth. Just like waxing, and the product seems to leave a wax-like protective coating. After application, the headlignt covers look like new (140K mi, covers never replaced, car lives in dusty Baja). I've been using it a couple of times a year for several years, and have noticed no problems associated with its use.

I'd suggest getting a mechanical buffer, something like this but the $60 version at your local store or eBay:

http://www.acefixings.com/bosch-gpo12e-professional-1200w-polisher-110v-p1164

Then use Meguar's "Ultimate Compound" to polish it out. The buffer will come in handy for other buffing needs also- a great investment.

Doing it by hand IMO isn't worth it...

• 3 weeks later...

If you know how to pull out your headlamps take them to a auto body shop they can sand them with 2000 and re-clear them. They will look much better and last much longer than that product you can buy at the parts stores.

If you know how to pull out your headlamps take them to a auto body shop they can sand them with 2000 and re-clear them. They will look much better and last much longer than that product you can buy at the parts stores.

The 04-09 RX headlights absolutely cannot be clearcoated. If the plastic is wetsanded prior to painting, the "scratch marks" and cloudiness of the plastic caused by the sanding will not go away when cleared. This works when clear coating paint, but not for plastic.

The only solution is to have the plastic wet-sanded and compounded.

The 04-09 RX headlights absolutely cannot be clearcoated. If the plastic is wetsanded prior to painting, the "scratch marks" and cloudiness of the plastic caused by the sanding will not go away when cleared.

Are the 04-09 RX plastic headlight lenses different in their basic composition than those used on other vehicles? The reason I ask is that I have never seen scratch marks or "cloudiness" on headlight lenses that have been properly wetsanded and clearcoated.

I've worked in a body shop for the last 6 years and have sanded and cleared at least 50 sets of headlamps. They come out great. You can also add a little black to the clear to give tail lamps a smoked look. Or for any of you looking for the black chrome silver sport emblems chrome ones an be scuffed and smoked as well.

The 04-09 RX headlights absolutely cannot be clearcoated. If the plastic is wetsanded prior to painting, the "scratch marks" and cloudiness of the plastic caused by the sanding will not go away when cleared.

Are the 04-09 RX plastic headlight lenses different in their basic composition than those used on other vehicles? The reason I ask is that I have never seen scratch marks or "cloudiness" on headlight lenses that have been properly wetsanded and clearcoated.

I've tried this procedure on the 99-03 RX300 headlights as well as those for the 08 Rx400h, and both can't be wet-sanded and cleared with two-part automotive clearcoat. The surface scratches created by the sandpaper (2000-3000grit) do not go away after being cleared, and when the lights are turned on the scratches become more visible. I assume the type of plastic is to blame...

I've tried this procedure on the 99-03 RX300 headlights as well as those for the 08 Rx400h, and both can't be wet-sanded and cleared with two-part automotive clearcoat. The surface scratches created by the sandpaper (2000-3000grit) do not go away after being cleared, and when the lights are turned on the scratches become more visible. I assume the type of plastic is to blame...

Try one of commercially available kits that come with multiple grits of sand paper and/or buffing pads and appropriate clear coat for use on headlight lenses.