Is The Price Legit?

93LSOwner

My lex was leaking oil in the garage so, without telling me my dad took it to this mechanic:

Newton's Carolina Car Care Inc.

This is the service performed:

Check for engine oil leak. Replace lower transmission pan gasket. Change oil&filter.

Part# _______Description______________Price

BK _________Degreaser/Cleaner________$2.96

RS ________Gasket Sealer (29208)_____$5.94

21348_______Oil Filter________________$4.95

C2OW50_____Castrol Motor Oil 20W50___$12.00

Service costs: $132

Total: $163.62

Needed Service: Leak (seeping) at transmission pan gasket.

Was this price legit?????

depends on how many hours the mechanic took looks like 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours of work and well it looks right for a mechanics bill.

You are right. I totally forgot about the time!

We don't exactly know, because we left it at the shop at 11:30am in the morning then took it back at 4:00pm in the noon; I didn't ask, and don't know neither.

Well, the next person who reads this can guess how much it would take to replace it and just guess a general estimate of it. :)

93ls,

How long you've been using the Castrol 20-50w...........?

That's some pretty thick oil...........

NEVER!

Until now. I bought the car in January, 2004 and changed the oil the next day. It was Mobil 1 5w30, [my dad took it to the mechanic]. That was before I encounter LOC, I didn't knew a bit about cars back then, [according to my records, last owners used 5w30 also].

Now, right now is my summer break so I get up late in the day. My dad noticed oil underneath the car[on the garage floor, thats its crib] and took it to the mechanic early in the day.

I looked at the bill and it said Castrol Motor Oil 20W50. First of all, I want it to be Mobile 1 and 5w30. So, I called him and he said he has old trucks and cars with more than 200k miles and thats what he uses. So, thats why he put that in. It is not sythetic neither, he said the advantage of using sythetic is that you can go over your oil changing miles [couple of hunderd] and don't hurt the engine. I changed it after driving 1,200 miles and will be in the future. So, he said you change it frequently so, you don't need to use sythetic.

I only drove the car about 5 miles after the change of 20w50.

Now for the real stuff: Is it going to hurt the engine?

Is it going to go back to normal after I change it back to 5w30 in the next oil interval?

Should I ask him to change it again? Because it is his fault! You think that will make him mad?:whistles:

He has done work on our other cars and does a good job for less $.

I don't think he is an idiot but I guess he just thought that he has to think for my Dad, since my dad doesn't know crap about Lexus or any other car for that matter!!!!!

Get that 20W50 out of there ASAP. Lexus recommends 5W30 and that's what you need to keep in it. What works in old cars does not apply to new ones.

I learned the hard way. I used to own a 80 Honda Accord. We used Castrol 20W50 "for higher reving engines" as recommended and got 230K out of the car. No problems.

So, when I bought an 87 Toyota Cressida, I never thought twice. I just put 20W50 in it faithfully changing the oil every 3000 miles. Within a year, my engine was loose as a goose and burning oil. I completely ruined the engine because I used the wrong oil.

Go back to Mobil 1 5W30!