Any Educated Guesses?

prix

If coming up to a stop sign, and I wait until the very end to give the brakes a good firm (not hard) push to bring the car to a stop, the car seems to give one or two little wiggles (bounces) before settling down. If I'm not mistaken, there MAY be a little lateral movement in the wiggle. It's subtle, so I am not positive. If I press gradually/normally/carefully on the brakes, there's no wiggle at all. The car just stops.

Any ideas as to what this could be? This is the first time I've noticed that movement. Background: For the past six weeks or so, I've heard a dribbling noise when driving the car at low speed -- sounds like metal bouncing against metal, or possibly rubbing against metal (I can't tell if that sound is ongoing at high speed due to road and car noise). The suspension has been checked out twice, and each time I was told everything looked normal. Now that I'm feeling this slight wiggle, I wonder...suggestions anyone?

Btw, just out of curiosity, I called the dealer to get a quote on replacing front suspension components -- 2 grand! And that was just for the parts (excluding the air shocks too!). So as a 'solution' to this noise problem, I'm nixing that idea for now.

yeah man, I agree. It sounds like either strut rods or actual struts. you've got air suspension too right?

yeah man, I agree. It sounds like either strut rods or actual struts. you've got air suspension too right?

Yes, have air suspension. I am still trying to figure out whether this is a critical repair right now and/or make sure this is the problem before spending wads of money. When you say struts, do you mean shocks (please verify)? If so, those retail at 1,200 at dealer, although I can get them way cheaper at the place you recommended ($400 off), and even cheaper than that on eBay. I would like to get a mechanic to verify though that this is what I need. New shocks or strut rod (or both). Why are they saying nothing's wrong? Are worn struts something you would just see right off? What do you look for to see if they're worn? Comments appreciated!! [if I haven't said this before, this board is a lifeline for us Lexi drivers.]

btw, i plan on keeping the air ride.

one more question: the metal on metal dribbling sound is fading...it sounds like it's worn itself out...although it is still there and i hear noises now and then, but the sound is less raw, more refined. sort of sounds like the metal has worn itself down. if this is a worn strut or strut rod, would it make any sense for the noise to gradually become less noisy? if any ideas, thanks much....

Yes, have air suspension. I am still trying to figure out whether this is a critical repair right now and/or make sure this is the problem before spending wads of money. When you say struts, do you mean shocks (please verify)? If so, those retail at 1,200 at dealer, although I can get them way cheaper at the place you recommended ($400 off), and even cheaper than that on eBay. I would like to get a mechanic to verify though that this is what I need. New shocks or strut rod (or both). Why are they saying nothing's wrong? Are worn struts something you would just see right off? What do you look for to see if they're worn? Comments appreciated!! [if I haven't said this before, this board is a lifeline for us Lexi drivers.]

Ok, guys. Just returned from another diagnosis and the mechanic says it's the left strut. He explained the noise ... didn't think it was the strut rod. He said if I were hearing noise on braking, then it would more likely be the strut rod. Good to have a sense of direction on this.

btw, i plan on keeping the air ride. 

one more question:  the metal on metal dribbling sound is fading...it sounds like it's worn itself out...although it is still there and i hear noises now and then, but the sound is less raw, more refined.  sort of sounds like the metal has worn itself down.  if this is a worn strut or strut rod, would it make any sense for the noise to gradually become less noisy?  if any ideas, thanks much....

Prix, you need to talk to ArmyofOne on this one. He's a great guy and might have a contact number for a cheaper price on the airstruts. I would be a little cautious about buying these parts on Ebay. Not saying it's bad, but you don't want to be in this situation again 12 months from now due to knock of quality. She's a Lexus, not a Chevy, and they can be a little tempermental with non-oem quality parts.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...pic=24721&st=15

ps, yeah, the lingo for the LS is Strut = Shock in the manner you're asking about.

I would have no reservations about going with a remanufactured strut from Arnott. $400 per strut plus shipping is just great; not to mention the lifetime warranty. They are oem struts that are rebuilt to new specs.

http://www.arnottindustries.com/parts_Lexu...400__yid65.html

I agree with Blake - Arnott seems to be THE name in aftermarket air struts for Lexus and tons of other carmakers, and I believe the warranty is lifetime on the strut. They even plan to offer load leveling air suspension for SUV's that are manufactured with standard hydraulics. Can you imaging a truck riding like a Lexus? Crazy - Anyaway, be sure that the issue is the air strut itself. From what I am learning, the compressor often goes bad and needs replacement along with the drier, and then there is the actuator and air tubes too. I just bought a 91 with air suspension that I intend to keep - just love the ride - good luck with yours :cheers:

Thanks all (to this poster and to everyone above). I agree with all the comments. The first step is to make sure it IS the strut. The noise is coming from the front left and we see a small leak on that strut, so seems a no brainer, but you never know. After a test drive today, the mechanic said it was the strut. But I want someone to get in and look at it more carefully to know for sure. Yes, think I would go with Arnott for the strut because paying more than a grand for a single car part would be too surreal-making. I mean, come ON. I just found the Arnott website on my own (tonight), then I log on and see someone here expressing confidence/recommending them. Cool; thanks. Their price beats the eBay lister, btw. Good enough for me! The lifetime warranty is a deal closer too. Also, I've been 'advised' by a dealer that I must replace struts on both sides (front), but when pressed they said, well, yes, I could also do just one side. Other info on the web also says there s/b no problem with replacing a single air strut. That way, could keep this cushy air ride without too much expense. I have no idea what the labor will be, and also will have to have the work done at a place that will let me bring in my own part (or have it mailed directly to them). I don't think a dealer is going to be keen on letting me do that, for some odd reason. :-). Know of a great shop in Pasadena, Cali, if anyone is interested (Absolute Automotive). Bit of a drive for me, but they will put in the part (I asked several years back) and they service Lexus (mechanics are trained to do so). Would rather find someone closer, of course, but at least I have that option. :-O.

From what I've read (all Internet derived knowledge -- I have no first hand experience with fixing cars, so this is a little like diagnosing one's own illness through reading up about symptoms) I think if the problem were with the air compressor or an actuator, etc., that I would be having problems with leveling or drops on one corner or the other, or problems with bottomed out suspension. I am not having any of those issues. Plenty of air pressure etc, even with the leaking strut. The high/low settings work fine; I tested it out today. Put it on the high setting...jacked it right up.

Well, it's good to get a handle on this...I can't believe how much I've learned about my car from this. At first, after I started reading, I wandered off in a swoon, because it all looked so complicated, but after a bit some of it starts to make sense.

I can't thank everyone enough...if/when I get this done, I'll followup with the results. I was told today that I'm not going to ruin anything by driving it around while I plan my repair stategy. But I'd really like to get rid of that annoying noise!!

I agree with Blake - Arnott seems to be THE name in aftermarket air struts for Lexus and tons of other carmakers, and I believe the warranty is lifetime on the strut. They even plan to offer load leveling air suspension for SUV's that are manufactured with standard hydraulics. Can you imaging a truck riding like a Lexus? Crazy - Anyaway, be sure that the issue is the air strut itself. From what I am learning, the compressor often goes bad and needs replacement along with the drier, and then there is the actuator and air tubes too. I just bought a 91 with air suspension that I intend to keep - just love the ride - good luck with yours  :cheers:

Btw, if anyone DOES use Absolute Automotive, please email so I can make the referral? If memory serves, they give some sort of credit. That's NOT why I am mentioning them here!! Never hurts to toss out a name of a clean, well-run indie operation with mechanics trained to work on the Lexus, etc. I used them a few times years ago, but it was v. time consuming (a bit of a drive...they are in Pasadena) and there's only so much sightseeing you can do while your car is being repaired. :=O.

• 1 year later...