Strut Rod Bushing And Rear Carrier Bushing

bicol-ini

hello, replaced my front strut rod bushing and rear carrier bushing with a polyurethane bushing, now no more clunks and the feel is more solid, a little stiff till the new poly bushing wear out or sets in, attached is some pix of the strut rod and the carrier bushing, :cheers:post-5308-1107223636_thumb.jpgpost-5308-1107224183_thumb.jpg

hello, jzz30, the bushing itself is 2.5 inch exact size so anything smaller will do, what i used was 2 1/4 stainless pipe sch 80 for thickness about 3 inch long to be used as the punch and to catch the pushed bushing a 3 inch pipe also about 3 inch long , it wasnt that hard to push the old one out, hopes this helps :D

• 2 weeks later...

bicol-ini, hello again. Got yet another question for ya' if you don't mind. I have just purchased the same adus rear carrier bushings from the dealership "$75" for both. But, I have no idea where they go? They say "carrier" but I can't seem to find that term on any diagrams? Do they mean rear strut rod? Can you send me one of your number charts again with the number of the part, like we did last time for the front strut rod? I would post it myself, but I'm out of room. I'm about to redu the whole setup.

thanks amigo

hello, replaced my front strut rod bushing and rear carrier bushing with a polyurethane bushing, now no more clunks and the feel is more solid, a little stiff till the new poly bushing  wear out  or sets in, attached is some pix of the strut rod and the carrier bushing,  :cheers:post-5308-1107223636_thumb.jpgpost-5308-1107224183_thumb.jpg

I thought you had to replace the strut rod to replace the bushings. I have a 98 LS and have a clunk over bigger bumps. I have replaced the shocks and shock mounts, this didn't fix the prob but the ride is smoother. Can I replace these bushings on my 98 and how difficult are the rods to remove? Thanks Mark

hello, majkmil, yes you can replace your strut rod bushing, the old got to be pressed out and the new one to be pressed in the OEM part number for the strut rod bushing, lexus calls it strut bar cushion part number 48674-40051 this is applicable to 97-2000 ls400, cost around 45 bucks or so dealership, :cheers:

hello, majkmil, yes you can replace your strut rod bushing, the old got to be pressed out and the new one to be pressed in the OEM part number for the strut rod bushing, lexus calls it strut bar cushion part number 48674-40051 this is applicable to 97-2000 ls400, cost around 45 bucks or so dealership,:cheers:

Thanks bicol-ini, do you think this could be the loosness I feel over larger bumps (pot holes). How can I check to see if the bushings are worn? Actually it is only on the right side and it feels like it took a hard hit because the back is not as tight on that side either. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
hello, replaced my front strut rod bushing and rear carrier bushing with a polyurethane bushing, now no more clunks and the feel is more solid, a little stiff till the new poly bushing  wear out  or sets in, attached is some pix of the strut rod and the carrier bushing,  :cheers:post-5308-1107223636_thumb.jpgpost-5308-1107224183_thumb.jpg

Hello,

I have a Lexus LS400 1996. I am having a problem with the front suspension. I read the email exchange about Strut Rod Bushing. I called Lexus dealer about the bushings and the dealer said that I need to buy the Strut Rod at $120. According to the dealer, even the dealer shop sends the strut to a special shop to press the old bushing out and the new bushing in.

The question that i have is, how difficult it is to press in/out the bushing by myself. Would please tell me if I need a special tools and the steps of pressing in/out the bushing.

I have worked on cars in the past, replacing brakes, tuneups and even timing belts, water pumps stuff like that.

Thanks

hello, its pretty much straight forward, press the old one out, press the new one in

the old one is made of metal sleeve and rubber, the metal sleeve is what you want to take out that includes the rubber part, since you said work on cars, you can press out the old one, no special tools needed, i ve used a large vise at work with an opening of about 8 inches, you can also use a large c clamp but it takes time, then push it out with a pipe 3 inc long or similar but with a little smaller diameter than the original bushing,this to push te OEM bushing, then on the other side a bigger diameter about the size now of the ring of the rod, then slowly tighten your vise, also if you dont have access, a machine shop will do this for a samll charge, now to push the new one a little patience and put more grease on it and it will slide just right in, preety much same procedure as pushing it out, :cheers: