Idles Too High - Probably Related To Transmission

trafukin

ok, guys. i have another problem. I guess i am just noticing it all at once, or maybe this car is falling apart on me.

When i turn on the car cold in the morning, or maybe after an extended period of inactivity (maybe 8 hours or more). it idles at almost 2k rpm. then it slowly starts to move all the way down to 1250 rpm. it probably takes about 2 minutes. I have read different posts about this, but mine has a different twist.

If i dont wait until rpm have come down to a low level (lets say 1250 rpm or lower), when i shift to drive, the shift is not really smooth at all. it jerks.

but it shifts smoothly, if i take the time to wait for the rpm to come down.

any tips appreciated.

:chairshot:

It sounds fine to me, as long as the idle speed is going down over time and it shifts smoothly. How bad is the jerk though? Also when the engine is fully warmed up, what is the idle speed? Is it still 1250 RPMs? I believe the idle speed should be around 600-800 RPMs. I think it's 650 RPMs for 92-93 ES. What year is your ES?

ok, guys. i have another problem. I guess i am just noticing it all at once, or maybe this car is falling apart on me.

When i turn on the car cold in the morning, or maybe after an extended period of inactivity (maybe 8 hours or more). it idles at almost 2k rpm. then it slowly starts to move all the way down to 1250 rpm. it probably takes about 2 minutes. I have read different posts about this, but mine has a different twist.

If i dont wait until rpm have come down to a low level (lets say 1250 rpm or lower), when i shift to drive, the shift is not really smooth at all. it jerks.

but it shifts smoothly, if i take the time to wait for the rpm to come down.

any tips appreciated.

:chairshot:

Ditto!

My 99 does the same exact thing. When I had the dealer look at it (I had originally complained about the clunk/jerk when shifting from Park to Drive/Reverse) he said he couldn't find anything wrong. He said to just allow the car to warm up. Mine also takes about 2 minutes from 2k rpm to 1k rpm. It's weird though, some mornings it starts at 2k and some mornings 1,500 rmp - no big differences in temperature each morning. hmmm?

My RPM is also alittle higher by couple 100s before and after waiting a minute or two probably due to the colder weather but it's nothing to alarm me. I've been having the jerky shift from Park to Drive/Reverse to Park for some time now and it's due to a torn dogbone mount (and that is due to a bad front motor mount). Waiting on parts to arrive to change those out. Check your dogbone mount. Also, using your emergency brakes may help the jerkiness.

Hope that helps.

My RPM is also alittle higher by couple 100s before and after waiting a minute or two probably due to the colder weather but it's nothing to alarm me.  I've been having the jerky shift for some time now and it's due to a torn dogbone mount (and that is due to a bad front motor mount).  Waiting on parts to arrive to change those out. Check your dogbone mount.  Also, using your emergency brakes may help the jerkiness.

Hope that helps.

Where is the dogbone mount?

How does using the emergency brake help?

Thanks... :)

The dogbone mount (aka strut torque mount) looks like what the name implies.. a dog bone. On my 95ES and probably the same for 92-96ES's, the dogbone is right beside the 3 top strut bolts on the passenger-side of the engine. Can't tell you where it is in other model yrs bc I don't know. I'm sure others can chime in and tell you where it is in the 99ES.

As for the emergency brakes, it's just a suggestion. This may help:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...ergency++brakes

BTW, I edited my original post to include "jerky shift from Park to Drive/Reverse to Park" so not to confuse anyone with jerky shifting problems while driving.