Anyone Else Hate The Seats?

rvgraham

Don't get me wrong, this is by far the best car I've ever owned, and the seats are comfortable and well made.

Nonetheless, there's something about the shape of the driver's seat that causes either pressure points in the back of my thighs, or causes my thigh muscles to tense up until I'm in pain, I really can't tell which. I'm 6' 2", 230lbs, my legs are about average bulk for a man my size. I set the seat all the way back, have the front of the cushion fairly high, the back of the cushion somewhat lower. My heels sits comfortably at the base of the gas pedal and dead pedal. This setting allows my legs to be evenly supported out to the edge of the seat cushion, a luxury I don't have in most cars. Usually, even with the seat all the way back, in smaller cars my knees are a bit up in the air.

The discomfort is present on any trip over a couple of minutes, not as bad on longer freeway trips if I can set the cruise and move my legs around frequently.

Since buying the Lexus back in June, we've picked up a Nissan Maxima for my wife, a 99 GLE with leather and power seats. No discomfort at all in this auto, though the seats feel a little harsher initially.

I feel that the ergonomics of the seat are just a bit off, the seats don't seem to cradle your legs at all, don't seem fitted to the anatomy.

Other opinions, from smaller, same size or larger folks? Any fixes or advice? I'm to the point of thinking of selling, even though I'm only 5 months into a 3 year CPO warranty.

Bob Graham

Well, I've only just picked up a 1991 LS400 just yesterday and already I have noticed how uncomfortable the seats are. I find that the drivers seat is too firm and really should have a bit more give in it, so that it matches the refinement of the rest of the car. Even my 350Z with its sports seats and less adjustments is a lot mote comfortable. I seem to get a sore backside after just 1/2 hour of driving in the LS.

That said, I am very satisfied with the rest of the car.

I'm about about your size, but a little taller and heavier-6'3 and 260lbs. Overall, I'd rate the comfort of this car as above average. Like you, I have the front of the cushion almost all the way up(too high and my head will hit the roof. I have about an inch-1.5 b/n my head and the roof.), and I found this diminishes the pain in my legs greatly. I also found that the lumbar support was a form of torture for my back...kinda odd. I adjusted it so that it wasn't there, and the pain in by pack disappeared. I think the floor mounted gas pedal is excellent; it's much more comfortable because I can sit my foot on the floor. But, yeah, the seats could be a lot better. I really like the hard seats in my ES, but sitting on top of the steering wheel is not worth it(...no legroom).

The LS not the most comfortable car I've ever driven, but the LS has enough great qualities(style, powertrain, ride quality, quality, quality, and quality) to overlook it's minor comfort issues. B)

I find that Fords and Lincolns are some of the most comfortable cars on the road...mainly the '00+ Taurus and '03+ Town Car. However, if you can bear the image of a VW Beetle, there is nothing that can touch it's driver's comfort; I'm 6'3 and the seat goes back TOO far for me. :blink: Town Car's and Taurus's values drop like hell because of all of the fleet sales, so used ones can be had for a hell of a bargin. I saw a several '04 TC's on ebay the other day with under 25k miles for under $25k.

:cheers:

I appreciate the feedback from both of you.

My seats are not real firm, so I'm thinking the 91 mentioned in the first reply may have somewhat different seats than mine. The 95 is probably a lot closer. I have no complaint with the firmness/softness balance, I think it's about ideal; the issues I have are most likely ergonomic.

Curiously, I've found that I have less seat pain if I put the seat lower and flatter, though this starts to leave me a bit shorter on leg room.

Aside from my wife's Maxima mentioned my original post, the most comfortable seats I've ever used were in a Volvo S60 that I had for a rental for a few days once. I don't think very highly of the Volvo's repair costs/reliability, however. I'm probably closer to buying a second 98-99 Maxima, though I have some issues with that car on the climate control and a couple of other issues. Most likely I'll keep the LS and just figure out how to modify the seats or my position to stop the pain.

Hoping to get some feedback additionally from guys with 98-00 generation.

Thanks again, guys.

Bob

Bob,

I was going to mention that I do keep the front edge of the seat a little lower like you just mention......I don't have much trouble at all.

Although they're not just "super cushy"..... :lol: I"d say average comfort....

Like Blake, I don't use that lumbar support at all.........I"ve never liked it...

Regarding lumbar support, I use it at max, and consider that to be minimum. To me it's one of those adjustments that offers:

Barely sufficient

Way too little

Way Way too little.

I'd be in a world of pain if I didn't have it at max.

So I guess we're all different! At least as regards the back of the seat. But I'm starting to see a bit of consensus on the lower cushion.

Maybe a Volvo seat would fit???

(Kidding)

Bob

Aren't the seats in the 95-7 the same as 98-00(save side air bags? from 97 on)? I wish my LS's seats were a little firmer, and I wish they went back farther since there is plent of room to do so. :whistles:

:cheers:

I'm very happy with my seat. Nice and soft, perfect for all pothole riddled street throughout NY. On a typical day, i spend roughly 3 hours on the road and I'm 6'2" / 150 pounds. I've adjusted the seat to resemble my lazyboy. The front tip of the cushion is completely up, while the back part of the cushion is completely down.

Everyone who has ever driven or rode in my Lexus commented on how comfortable the seats are.

Maybe there is something wrong with what pants you're wearing while your driving. I've noticed that I'm always uncomfortable driving in a business suit.

I figure that Lexus had to have inmproved the seats over the years. I have thought the seats in our 90 are uncomfortable from day one. I can never seem to get my position right. My wife on the other had loves them and thinks they are very comfortable.

Now, after quite a bit of study, I see what the problem is with the seats. The seams are like steel rods just under the surface. Push your thumb hard on the seam in the seat cushion. It's hard like granite. Now for someone under 200 lbs, I can see it probably wouldn't cause much discomfort. The rest of the padding holds a lighter person's weight without letting their legs press onto the seams very much. But for someone my size, the pressure causes my driving leg to feel each contact point with a seam until I'm just about writhing in pain.

I wonder if an upholstery shop could replace the seat cushion surface with one with no seams. I know it would look less than perfect, but I'd prefer that to looking at the back end of the car driving away with a new owner at the wheel!

Bob

I had the seat in the 92LS reconstructed - the leather on the side bolster was worn, and the cushion in the bottom pad was collapsed. It is much better, more like new, and it is still not comfortable for me totally - and I am 6 foot and about 215 pounds.

My 98GS has great seats, remind me of the second gen LS but with more side support. Just like a Lazy-Boy but better made.

I used to own Volvos, and I still work on lots of them, and their seats are always comfortable, not too good looking, and seem not well made, but the ergonomics are perfect for a huge range of people.

I had the seat in the 92LS reconstructed . . .

I used to own Volvos, and I still work on lots of them, and their seats are always comfortable, not too good looking, and seem not well made, but the ergonomics are perfect for a huge range of people.

Did you have the stiching design changed? Why don't I feel the seams in Volvos and (does anybody remember) Peugeots?

How much would it cost to have the cushion resewn without the seams? How else can the leather be held to the padding, can it be glued with low tack adhesive? I have the black leather interior (really very dark gray), can it be matched easily?

If you have the answer to any of these questions I'd greatly appreciate it.

Bob

The seat covers were simply peeled off and the foam padding replaced and readjusted. Externally the seats are like stock. I am sure any good upholstery shop could remove the seams, and probably match the leather quite closely. Lexus used a lot of springs in the originals which gives the "hard trampoline" effect on the first gens I think.

• 3 weeks later...

Are the seats in the SC the same as the LS? My mother has a 95 SC400 and I never really noticed a problem in all the years she had it. That was until I had to drive it for an extended period of time. Last February I had to drive her to Virginia from here in central Florida. I'd say about the time I got to Daytona Beach on 95 I was started to notice something was not quite right. By the time I reached Jacksonville I was downright uncomfortable. Everything I tried, shifting to the left, the right, hunching over, laying the seat back as far as it would go, nothing helped. By the time I got to NC 7 hours later, my back was hurting bad. I'd have to pull over at rest stop after rest stop and lay down on a bench for a few minutes.

It was a huge relief to finally get to our destination. Unfortunately I could barely sleep on a bed, I had to lay on the floor. For three days I could hardly walk. I left her up there and came back, dreading the return trip when I went back to get her in March :blink: I made it, but same thing. My back was wrecked for days after I returned.

Now, I have made this trip quite a few times and never had a seat bother me. In July I rented a car to go pick up my new truck in NY. About 1800 miles up there and 1500 back in an F350 with a vinyl 40/20/40 bench seat and it never bothered me.

Now whenever I drive her car, I can start to feel the discomfort coming on within 10 miles. I told her if I ever have to do that trip again, I am going to tow the car up there :lol: Either that or she is going to have to buy me a different seat or milk crate or something to sit on. :D These seats aren't made for everyone, that's for sure.

Not sure about the SC seats, I've only sat in the newer generation, whose seats seem superb.

I've largely solved my problem, and put it down to three things:

1. Don't put the seat nose high, it puts too much pressure on the thighs, pressing the pressure points of the seat into the back of your legs. I've forced myself to learn to be comfortable with the seat essentially level

2. Minimize the use of the Lumbar support. I've always used lumbar support at max (in other cars I've owned), and liked it that way on my LS as well. Problem was, it was pushing me forward in the seat and reducing the overall contact area of back side and thighs. I've found the LS seat back causes no back discomfort with little to no lumbar, unlike other cars I've had where I had to max it just to be comfortable.

3. Now that I've developed theory 1 and 2, re-teach myself to relax my leg muscles and enjoy the ride. We took the car on our habitual Saturday jaunt around the Monterey Peninsula (35 miles each way plus another 30 or so in Montery and Pacific Grove for our usual shopping, eating and relaxing spots) and I had no pain whatsoever.

Before developing these fixes, I had pain from the pressure points of the seat within 2-3 miles of driving.

I still feel the seat is badly designed, designed more to look like a nice easy chair. I've noticed from the other replies that this mostly affects larger drivers over 200 lbs. The radical change in the stiching layout and padding shape of the new LS shows that Toyota was not unaware of the problem. I'm sure I could drive the new LS430 with my habitual nose-high and max lumbar settings comfortably, but I'm no going to beat myself up about it. It wouldn't be worth the payment difference, and I have so few other complaints with my '99.

It does leave me wondering whether a used LS430 seat would fit in my '99???

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Glad i am not the only person that felt like that

If i change from my 94GS to my 99LS i felt discomfort in my lower back.

I now drive the LS everyday and i am starting to get used to it. ( I am 6Ft tall and recently got on a diet and went from 205 to 192)

The LS is still a Super Ride ...

MERRY CHRISTMAS !!

• 3 weeks later...

I've driven the LS and the GS, but my experience with the LX470 has been the worst. there is just not enough seat in the bottom and it doesnt slide back enough either. I've experienced back pain driving LX that I never experienced before. I think the seats are the worst part about the whole truck and I really wish there is a way for me to just change them ! If anyone has had any experience swapping seats kindly post the findings here as they would be really helpful. The first gen LS seats seem to be the best so far !