Decided To Keep My92 Ls400 - But Has Valve Tick

NC_lexus

I bought my LS400 in December to drive while I repaired my often broken down, highly modified B5 Audi S4. The S4 is disturbingly fast when it is running right.

My Ls400 has 207K miles on it and has a been serviced at the dealer since new. it apears that all the service is up to date including a waterpump and TB @ 183k.

The only issue with the car is the valve lifter tick that I have seen described on this forum. Has anly one repaired this by a "DIY" method? also does anyone have more info on this described part

"there is a little cap underneth the lifter that gets pushed in"

http://www.cureline.net/lex/howtos/info_ticking_engine.htm

any advise?????

My '91 LS400 also has a tick, tick, tick when the engine is warm. Searching the archives, I could not find any definate answer as to whether or not a valve adjustment would cure the tick. I couldn't even find out what actually causes the tick. So I'm in the same boat as you are.

the tick has been there for years. I know the previous owner. The tick is uneffected by engine temp or oil changes.

what special tools are needed for a valve adjustment? Do I need to pressurize the cylinders to keep the valves from falling in?

I figured i could just determine what shims I need then go by them at a Toyota dealer. The Lifters themselves (from what I have read) are not necesarily wear items. I can afford for the car to be down for a while in the process.

Someone out there has to have done this themselves.

First you need to measure the valve clearances on the 32 valves (using an ordinary feeler gauge blade) to find out if any are out of spec. Then if any are out of spec you need to remove the existing shim that sits on top of the valve lifter. To remove this shim you need a valve lifter depressing tool, plus another tool that keeps the lifter depressed while you try to lift out the shim using a small screwdriver and magnetic finger. OTC Tools sells these tools for about $60 or you can sometimes find them on ebay. I believe the LS400 engine requires a special version of this tool set. Naturally you should be armed with the LS400 factory repair manual to know for sure and to follow proper procedures.

However, we still have not had a definitive answer from any of the Lexus engine guru's here as to whether or not ticks in the 1UZ-FE engine are commonly caused by loose valve clearances or some other mechanical problem. Where are the V8 guru's hiding?

I think you may be able to improve it with an oil-filter change w/ dino for 500 miles,

Then switch to syn / blend for another 1000 miles,

Then switch to Full Syn oil and see if this doesn't quiet the ticking.....

I say all the above for cost effectiveness & my customary logic. :D

At this point, if you're still not satisfied......go with the valve job.

Cold:

Intake valve clearance is .15-.25mm

Exhaust " " .25 - .35

Shims are available in 41 increments of 0.020mm from 2.00 mm to 2.80mm

New shim size (intake) = Old shim thickness + (measured valve clearance -0.2mm) -

New shim size (exhaust) = Old shim thickness + (measured valve clearance -0.3mm)

VGR,

I haven't answered your question because I'm not an engine guru :blushing: , but

"wear" and "oil deposits" are my ideas of the cause.....

unless you are a pro, i would leave the valve adjustment job to just that a pro....

the valve shims run about 16 dollars a piece, and thats for 32 valves, you do the math, its not cheap..plus labor.

and yes it will stop that ticking noise...

but to be honest the ticketing valves are not hurting anything, i agree that it is annoying but its not detrimental to the car. its all just about what you would like to do ie....live with it, since its not even you daily driver, or change it out and pay out the ying yang for it

good luck

unless you are a pro, i would leave the valve adjustment job to just that a pro....

the valve shims run about 16 dollars a piece, and thats for 32 valves, you do the math, its not cheap..plus labor.

I've done the valve adjustment on a 16 valve '89 Corolla 4A-F 4 cyl motor which has exactly the same type of valvetrain as the first generation LS400 engine. It's not that difficult or complicated a job because typically only a few valves are out of adjustment and sometimes none are out. So only a few shims are ever needed and they only cost more like $6-10 from a discount dealer.

However, I am still not convinced loose valve clearances would cause a ticking noise on the LS400 engine because the valvetrain has no rocker arms that could tick. So again, I hope we can hear from a PRO who has had first hand experience with solving the ticking noise on the earlier LS400 motors (the ones without the variable valve timing)

Could it be that the ticking noise is actually a noisy fuel injector? I know owners of the 3VZ-FE Toyota / Lexus motor have reported injector ticking noises.

I've done the valve adjustment on a 16 valve '89 Corolla 4A-F 4 cyl motor which has exactly the same type of valvetrain as the first generation LS400 engine. It's not that difficult or complicated a job because typically only a few valves are out of adjustment and sometimes none are out. So only a few shims are ever needed and they only cost more like $6-10 from a discount dealer.

However, I am still not convinced loose valve clearances would cause a ticking noise on the LS400 engine because the valvetrain has no rocker arms that could tick. So again, I hope we can hear from a PRO who has had first hand experience with solving the ticking noise on the earlier LS400 motors (the ones without the variable valve timing)

Could it be that the ticking noise is actually a noisy fuel injector? I know owners of the 3VZ-FE Toyota / Lexus motor have reported injector ticking noises.

this tool look like the one that will work?:

http://www.etoolcart.com/browseproducts/Va...ol-SP88250.HTML

You've asked the same thing several times and everyone is pointing to your valves. If you already have an opinion about what your problem might be then why do you ask us, then disagree with us?

Fuel injector...wth?

You've asked the same thing several times and everyone is pointing to your valves. If you already have an opinion about what your problem might be then why do you ask us, then disagree with us?

I am wanting to hear from a '90-'97 LS400 owner who had the tick and then cured it. I want to know what cured it. So far we have not heard from anyone who had the tick and cured it. We've only heard from owners who are guessing the tick might be cured by a valve adjustment, oil additive or synthetic oil.

The tick you are refering to in your car might be different from someone else's. Person X might have a tick associated with his/her valves....readjusted valves and the tick went away...while your problem might be something else so a valve adjustment wouldn't do you any good. How's someone going to be able to tell you your exact problem online based on "tick,tick,tick". You have had experience adjusting valves, so why not pull the cover off and take a look for youself?

Fuel injector...wth?

92Lex:

You are right - several of you guys have pointed towards my valves being the issue. That is why I asked in my last reply about valve adjustment tools.

Help me out here - Not sure how that makes me disagreeable. Were your comments directed at someone else? :huh:

I have already tried oil and fuel additives. I did a Seafoam Carbon Cleaning - James Bond smoke screen and all :whistles: . My other idea is to put seaform in the oil. I am open to any and all suggestions.

sorry man, I am just tring to learn something about these cars... :(

I would not fret if I were you. My 90 LS400 had 235K when I sold it and it had that lifter "tick" sound. It had the noise when I bought it and never got any worse. Most every other 90-94 LS I have ever heard also has this noise and it does not seem to be a big problem. I actually think it is a good thing, because the engine is "too quite" otherwise. :)