Replace Free Air Sub Or Get Enclosure?

ok i got my sc300 and am contemplating either replacing the free air sub or getting a nice enclosure with some 12's. I wanna ask you guys your thoughts, i really dont need the trunk space but i was thinking it probally would cost me more to get enclosure since I would have to dampen the trunk and all, what do you guys think is the best way to go? for you guys that have replaced the free air sub hows the sound quality? for those of you with enclosures do the sc's rattle lots? any info you guys would be able to provide would be greatly appreciated, thanks in andvance

I took out my free air sub and put in a 12 inch alpine type R in the trunk. I have no rattles at all and get loud deep bass and i didnt even dampen my trunk. I think the enclosure in the trunk is the way to go. B)

I agree. I tried a free air replacement in the stock location and it didnt justify the cost and time. The trunk (on an SC4) is pretty useless anyway so I just put a 10" in a box and called it good.

As a side note: I originally thought it would be kinda' tacky to have a box in the trunk but after hearing how well it sounded I got over it. I know a guy that has done some pretty trick sound system installs and he was the guy that basically said "screw it...put a box in the trunk, 'yer not losin' much".

:pirate: Well I feel it all depends how much bass u want...if u want to be heard 3 blocks down the road then get them in the trunk 2 10"s or 2 12"s will be enough. THeres no way a little free air sub is going to make that much bass anyhow.

But if you want just excellent cabin bass (and perhaps some good BBQ music) then go for the free air. I went free air cos I dont care if everyone arround me can hear me with their windows up, as long as I can feel the bass and some good hi's im happy.

I replaced with an rfz 2210 (but dont quote me, Im not sure), however it is discontinued so ull have to look for another alternative....trick is clearance....not just any sub will fit....best bet go to a local stereo store and tell those guys u want a free air spk and start trying them on.....remember, the stock speaker has a frame that has to be put on the other 10" sub u buy, and that jacks up the speaker a little bit so keep that in mind.

Ivve heard of ppl compaling about putting box in trunk and hearing gas moving arround as well as other road noise....and if u have aver removed that free air speaker and drove without it u would know exactly what they are talking about :)

Unless u plan on having the radio up all the time then i guess u couldnt hear the road or gas lol..but if your planing on having a conversation with a hot chick u dont want to hear rocks and gas moving arround :geek:

hope u solve ur problem! I went through hell to get my stereo upgraded!

It all depends.

Do you want nice deep bass in the car?

Or do you want loud bass to shake outside?

I replaced my free air sub. with a pioneer free air. took some crftsman work to get it in there. and you do need to dynmat the rear deck. but after all that it hits soooooo nice. and i still have trunk space.