Strange Way To Get R134a Upgrade

SRK

Last Sunday my wife rear-ended a Jeep with the LS. Fairly big mess of the hood, grill, bumper, headlights and such. The AC condensor broke, the rad, the fans and their support, the whole bit. No used parts available in Canada, so only new Lexus parts are going into it.

The AC will be upgraded to R134a during the repair as R12 is illegal in Canada, so that's at least one good thing, as the deductible is less than the upgrade if done by me - $200.00 versus $550.00 at the dealer.

That's just me trying to find a positive in this. I may also have the shop repaint above the beltline on the car to make sure it is all the same colour, and blend on the A and C pillars.

Tough cars these LS's.

Insurance is paying for a rental - a 2003 Buick Century. It is cars that like that make me appreciate a twelve year old Lexus even more. Buick has no idea what they are doing in making that Century - what a pail.

Sorry to hear about the accident. I can get you any parts you need if you wish, but from the sounds of it, you're getting your car repaired by a bodyshop.

Switching to R134a sounds like a good idea. Safer and better switch.

Yeah, no one was hurt - I think the impact was about 15 mph. My insurance company has been great - $1000.00 worth of any rental car, (might be three weeks for parts and labour) and a lifetime garantee on the repairs. I know the owner of the shop, and he knows I am fussy. So although it would have been better not to have happened at all, at least the car will be repaired correctly.

My other car is a 94 Camaro Z28 and it has had R134a from the word go. The AC in that thing will blow you into the back seat. If the LS doesn't have AC that can do that too, with 134 in it, then something is wrong in Lexusville.

r134 will work just fine, or you can get an artificial r12 if you dont wanna change oil in the compressor. this is what i did in my legend. i have to agree that r134 is not that great on the Ac system that was designed for r12. r134 works just great in my LS but i dont know any conversions that will get ur air as cool as it was with r12

R134a an upgrade? Well I guess it would be if you prefer 45-50 degree F air coming out of your dashboard vents instead of 37-42 degree air.

Could be worse- could be blowing out 80+ degree air like my Lexus. :D My A/C is broken. Bad evaporator. Lexus quoted the previous owner $800 in repairs- then still no gaurantee that the compressor would still be good. :rolleyes: I guess I will have to suffer with the heat when driving this car. :blink: