New Engine Noise On My 97'!

Hey guys, I normally drive with the stereo and air on, so I don't hear much from the motor. Not that you can usually hear the motor anyway!

In the past I've paid attention to how the motor runs, and it's alway been smooth and quiet. Almost everything has been replaced in the past few months I've owned it, and I'm now up to 114,500 miles. The car idles a little rougher, and you can kind of hear a kind of extra bit of "air" almost as if I were running a cold air intake, or had a belt rubbing a little bit?

I'm worried it may be something major like a bearing, or a valve- although I'm unsure of what that might sound like? After noticing the noise yesterday, I called the dealership for an appointment.

If anyone can help re-asure me that it may not be anything major, please help! I'll try and keep you posted after my appointment today! It's just that everything on this car has been a major repair, and I can't handle anymore. Thanks :cries:

at 114,500 miles it could be that a vacuum line has become brittle and popped off its coupler or a hose has developed a crack thus letting in or letting out lots of air.

I have seen this before. Check the condition of all you lines and hoses. see if any are loose or disconnected.

stand in front of the car with the hood open and have someone else rev the motor and see if you hear it.............or did you already do this.

steviej

Thanks steviej, I did try to look at all the lines and check the sound level at different rpm levels without much luck. I ended up having my Lexus/Toyota mechanic go through it after work yesterday. He took it for a spin, and then put it on the little computer. From what he said, it showed no error codes, or any other problems. No engine light came on, but I told him it defintely sounds different? He suggested that I just keep an eye on it for a while, and it may surface later. I just hope its nothing serious! No charge to me, so I feel a little better. We'll see what happens!