Rotor Resurfacing

I just got the rotors on the rear weels resurfaced and brake pads changed.

This morning I happened to look at the rotors and I was surprised to see sratches on the rotors consistent with a circular motion. I've never seen circular sracthes on a rotor (the same look you get when buffing a car)

Is this one kind of resurfacing?

I always assumed that resurfacing is done by removing the surface material with a lathe as the roto is turned on its axis.

hmmmmm

any thoughts?

Ask the guy who did it

basically it is supposed to move the rotors throught a metal lathe that smoothes out the finish to a flat one but leaves deep grooves

it should look like a record when done

brake resurfacing is done today by one of two methods.

The traditional lathe type is widely used. Kinda like old faithful. Brake sanding is gaining use. From what I have heard the sanding takes off less material than the lathe. I think the idea is because most rotors nowadays are not as thick as they used to be. Hence the almost disposable concept. We have become a disposable society and most people will opt to "replace with new" rather than resurface.

the swirls will go away with normal brake pad pressure.

steviej

There is a method of turning the rotors while they are still on the auto [ rather than turning them off the vehichle ] that produces a truer balance and they finish with circular finish when pads are replaced as to wear the new pads to the like new rotors instead of to the new grooves produced by old fashioned lathe work . I had mine done at a toyota dealer 20,000 mi. ago and still true to balance . Only my opinion as the best way to go .

There is a method of turning the rotors while they are still on the auto [ rather than turning them off the vehichle ] that produces a truer balance and they finish with circular finish when pads are replaced as to wear the new pads to the like new rotors instead of to the new grooves produced by old fashioned lathe work . I had mine done at a toyota dealer 20,000 mi. ago and still true to balance . Only my opinion as the best way to go .

This is not true. On and off either method will work. It will depend on your tech, if he didn't position your rotor true to the center then your rotor will have an event cut. When you turn the rotors you supposed to measure the runouts, I hardly see anyone do this anyone. The best brake lathe outthere is the hunter unit. I used to buff the rotors when I finished it them, I found this method useless and stop doing it.

JPI

JPI , Contact Mike Ahlers at carlson toyota in mn. 763-427-3200 ,Top Tech in the midwest ask him and you will get the correct answer . HE IS THE ONLY TECH THAT I WILL EVER TOUCH MY 98 GS300 and it runs like new............................................................Learn from the best and let it soak in. This tech is a teacher for what toyota city builds.

wow that was awfully condesending

JPI is here to help

your buddy isn't

you don't have to belive him that is up to you but you also don't know him either

but i wouldn;t take someones word just because they say "i know this"

as there are different procedures for different cars and situations

you only see it as a narrow affect band of treatment

not the whole reaonsing behind the final decsion

a techintion has to look at the overall situation

I also see no need for cutting a rotor on a car ,it is a waste of time

just pull the damn thing off and replace them, that is the best way as cut rotors always have a tendency to warp much faster as they are unequal thickness per side always which is why they were cut

I also see no need for cutting a rotor on a car ,it is a waste of time

just pull the damn thing off and replace them, that is the best way as cut rotors always have a tendency to warp much faster as they are unequal thickness per side always which is why they were cut

An even better strategy is to always use Toyota/Lexus pads at replaceent time, break then in gently and avoid ever using the brakes abusively. Then the rotors never warp and never have to be turned or replaced unless they wear beyond the factory spec for minimum allowable thickness

I don't need to call anyone to prove my points. Just for heck of it, I have a brake job on a RX300. I did one rotor on car and the other off car. Check the runouts and it's the same. There is no words in the book saying on car will provide a better cut. I based on my facts and experience. Just for the record, I've been with Lexus for 7 years, still holding my ASE master and Lexus master. I don't know everything but I know quite a bit about the lexus vehicles. We are here to help each out. ;)

JPI