1990 Ls400, Price?

Taplin06

Hey,

I have found a very nice looking 1990 Lexus LS400 at a local dealership. Right now it is at 6,560 dollars with 90,000 miles. The test drive feels fine, everything seems operational. However, the outside has many small dings and scratches, especially on the hood.

Also, my budget is around $4,000 only. Do you think asking $4,000 - $5,000 for this car would be out of the question? How would I go about asking for it to be lowered (im a little inexperienced :) )

Thanx alot! :D

90K is very low miles for a LS400- IF it has not been abused. Just offer them $4500 and see what they say - remember tax will also need to be paid to the dealer.

For comparison- I paid $4000 for my 90' LS400 last October. It had about 224K on it when it bought it. With tax- it was about 4200-4300. It was a 1-owner car, in excellent running conditions w/no leaks. The problems was the A/C did (does) not work and it has a few door dings and scrapes. Carfax checked out OK and the car was obviously cared for. I did have to pay around $190 to have new rear struts installed because the previous owner had just installed high performance struts, which gave it a very harsh ride. It also had new brakes and tires at every wheel just before I bought it. I had to have the "airbag" reconnected and reset, as the previous owner did not want the airbag to deploy in a crash, so they had it disconnected and had the bulb warning removed- so I had to take it to Lexus dealership and have it checked- where they reconnected and installed a new bulb for only $30.00. There are times I think I may have paid too much, but I wanted a 90-92 LS400 and the selections are not all that great. These cars are not at every used car lot- at least here. Now, with the rapidly increasing fuel prices, I really wish I had of passed on this car for now, but I really do like the car. They are great automobiles.

You may also noticed that someone posted a 90 LS400 for sale here for $2200- unsure of the miles however.

***I don't think you will have to worry about this, since the miles are so low but just look at it when you drive it again:

Test drive it. Drive it on the Highway at speeds of 60-70mph and see if there is any vibration. Then go up to 90mph and see who smooth the ride is.

Go over bumps or rough roads with the windows down, and see if you hear any clucking noise when you go over the bumps.

The LCD of the temp/clock starts to blacken in the Gen. I LSs. It starts out by very little exposure then later the whole thing turns black. Here is pinned topic about it:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=83&

Go here: http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.sp?kbb....;Lexus;LS%20400

And tell us what the book value is for Private party and retail too. Since, we don't know the correct options and condition of the car.

Here is a link that will tell you more about the 1990 LS400:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1990/lexus/ls4...title..1.Lexus*

Also, go to the below site and see what else is available in your area [so you have something to compare it with:

http://www.cars.com/search/used/cc/standar...ml?aff=national

Also, gas prices are a issue so...:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/!Removed!/findacar.htm

Unless someone is giving a car away to a charity. You wouldn't find a cheap car with good maintance record. These are high-end imports; and the parts and labor are very very $$costly$$ which will destory your wallet, unless you are a DIYer. So, maintance record and how much stuff you have to replace & repair after the purchase, is a real BIG factor in price. ;)

You can call your local Lexus dealer and give them the cars VIN number to check to see if the car has been serviced by a Lexus dealer in any part of the country.

Also, they can check the car and tell you what needs to be replaced, repaired or any other necessory things need, but for a small $.

Why argue with $6500? Sounds like a good deal - I'd be surprised if they came down any. I wouldn't, if I was the dealer. But, you can always try.

Was the car dealer-serviced? Have you reviewed the records?

For comparison, I just bought a 78,000 mile 1990 LS400 for $7000 (after TTL) - one owner, well-cared for, and all Lexus records (all oil changes every 4000, regular mileage services).

My budget for my commuter was $5-6,000, but for what I got, I'll gladly pay the extra $1000.

As far asking for it to be lowered, just tell them that the car isn't worth that, but you'd love to buy it. Offer them $4500, let them laugh at you, and see if they counter - if not, they don't think you're serious. If they do counter, then you got a deal going. Then the choice is up to you - how much are you willing to pay for that particular car? Set this price in your head before the offers begin flying...

Well thanks alot for the help guys! I will probably return to the dealership this weekend and make the offer of $4500. Then will most likely up the price until around $5,500.

It is a small dealership operation, and was most likely bought from auction or a tradein.

There nothing wrong in offering the dealer $4,000 for an LS with lots of scratches and dings. Just make your offer and walk away if the dealer doesn't accept it. Keep looking and you might find a nicer LS at a similar price - perhaps from an individual. Be aware that these can be very expensive cars to maintain. My 90 LS looked new (no dings, no scratches) when I sold it for $4,500 last year but I had spent almost that much on service and repairs in the previous two years.

Sounds like a good price. I certainly agree with the 90 mph speed test as any vibration will show up. Also be sure to check the power steering pump for leakage and the steering rack. Just remember that anything you need to repair on this car will be expensive.

One other thought, if gas prices bother you, this is not the best car. Luckily, my wife is only a few miles from work so gas isn't a big issue. They do have a healthy thirst for premium.

The AC will cost big bucks to fix. Mine is out right now and I need to address it as they are brutaly hot without AC

Our LS is the best driving car I have ever owned.