Replacing The Brake Line . . .

Hello Everyone,

I have had my '92 ES300 for about 2 years now, and never had a significant problem until recently. On Friday. when I went to drive home from work, I had absolutely no brakes! I have always had a bit of a leak in my brake line, but have always made sure that I kept it topped up once every couple of months or so. Anyways, my brake fluid was right empty.

I went to the GM dealer across the street a managed to get a bottle of brake fluid. I put the fluid in, but the leak continued. I was able to drive it to a Toyota delaership before I ran out of brake fluid again. Once I reached the dealer, the brake line was leaking like crazy from the rear of the car.

Anyways, I left the car withToyota and went back the next day. When I spoke with the technician, he was quoting me at a minimum $1200CAN!!! Yikes! He said that it cost so much because they would probably have to replace all of the fuel lines as well, because once they try to pull out the brake line, the fuel lines (which are clamped to the brake line) will disintegrate. He said I could probably take a cheaper route by running a brake line under the car and !Removed! it to the floor pan. As long as I don't hit a pothole hard, then I should be fine. . .

What do you guys think of all this? Am I getting ripped off??

Regards,

Bryan

is it the flexible brake line or the hard pipe under the car

I'm not really sure . . . it was in the rear of the car, that is all I know. I didn't really have time to get a good look at it as they were closing in like 5 minutes. Would it be better if it was in the flex line? Because then I could just replace that without replacing the line under the car?

The dealer was talking about having difficulties splicing lines and putting on a new one to fix the problem . . . I'm not really mechanically inclined, so I took what he said to be the truth.

Thanks for he help,

Bryan

If the fuel line is as crappy as the brake line then i can under stand the reasoning of replacing both at once

it shouldn't be that hard to make new lines for it

as it is only piping that they flare at one end and bend real easy themost you should pay is about $300 parts and labour

If the fuel line is as crappy as the brake line then i can under stand the reasoning of replacing both at once

it shouldn't be that hard to make new lines for it

as it is only piping that they flare at one end and bend real easy themost you should pay is about $300 parts and labour

Toyota just called back and quoted me $1191CAN for parts, labour, and taxes. Holy crap, is that ever expensive!

They said that whether they do the fuel line or not, the labour is the same. Parts are cheap relative to labour.

They said that this is a 9-hour job, and there is a chance that they might also have to replace some bracket on the fuel tank if it snaps off while they are working on it. That part runs for $747.00 or $402.00 aftermarket!!! EXPENSIVE!!!

You said $300 parts and labour?! Why are they quoting me quadruple???

Thanks for your help!

Bryan

how would i know

you still don't even mention where you are

Hey skperformace,

Sorry that I didn't have my profile updated. I have put up my location now. I actually go to the University of Waterloo, and live in a small town outside of Waterloo. Right now I am at a coop position at an insurance company downtown Toronto, so I am living with my brother in Guelph. It is a long commute, which kind of sucks, but at least it is a job ad I am getting experience (and money!) :)

Anyways, I take the GoTrain into Toronto from Milton, and Milton is where my car is stuck right now. I got it to Toyota in Milton and that is where they provided me with the quote. Instead of doing the brake job with them, I am going to one of their affiliates and having it done using a cheaper method. I am just going to run a brake line underneith the car and am going to screw it to the floorpan or something like that. It should save me a lot of money, although I run the risk of breaking my break line if I bottom out really hard. My mechanic told me that I would have to bottom out REALLY hard to break the brake line, so I am not too worried about that. If I ever do happen to bottom out (which is a rare occurence), then I will be sure to pull over and inspect my break line.

The car is getting fixed tomorrow, so hopefully all goes well!

Regards,

Bryan

once secured properly it won;t matter if you bottom out as the suspension only has so much play before the bottom of the car can get no closer to the ground

besides it has skid plates/rails for that reason

once secured properly it won;t matter if you bottom out as the suspension only has so much play before the bottom of the car can get no closer to the ground

besides it has skid plates/rails for that reason

Well, I mieant bottoming out to mean when you exit a parking lot with a really steep curb or something . . . but if there are rails, then that should protect it :)

Anyways, the mechanic phoned back and it is going to cost $250 . . . much MUCH better than the $1200 (minimum!) that Toyota quoted me!! I can handle $250.00 :)

Regards,

Bryan