Lexus Ls400 Exhaust

simcom

Hello,

I was thinking about changing exhaust system in my 1990 LS. As you know, after exhaust manifold there are 2 cats, than Y pipe to 1 "middle muffler" than another Y pipe to 2 "semi middle mufflers" and at the and 2 rear muflers.

I was thinking about replacing those semi middle mufflers with pipes and rear mufflers with mufflers with higher flow. I would Like to leave these Y pipes as they are now...

Is there any chance I gain some HP??????

I also noticed, that my LS (US version) is more quiet than european. of course this is better, but i would like to hear this V8 a little bit more. Maybe after replacing exhaust I will by Injen intake, I heared it fits well in 1990, isnt it?

What do you think????.Thanks for any answers!!!

There is really no reason to do all that unless you have money to burn[and are going to turbocharge or something really special].

If you want some sound, unbolt your resonators and drive around some--only 4 small bolts hold these on and some rubber circles.

You could make some pipes to take the place of the resonators--but this is really tricky--you need to cut off the flanges from the stock resn. to fit [and that would destroy them]; you would need to go to a muffler shop for all the bending to get the pipes to run out straight--and don't think you can do it yourself. You could come out with 3" chrome on each side.

Note that you don't get that much sound--but enough to know you have a V-8. If you like the sound, then go to a muffler shop for the 2 pipes.

The LS has 5 mufflers!!!!!! The resonators are not really resonators but mufflers; all kind of baffles !!!!!!! And they cost about $260. each !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys. Sorry for my mistakes in writing.

Yeah. On lextreme I saw photos of a whole system changes. Instead 2 cats after manifolds I saw mega big pipes... and there was no Y pipes. All standalone pipes on both sides.

Everything is cool but I dont want turbos...heh, I just want to cut of these resonators, get rid of them, replace them with pipes, and the last mufflers I want to replace with for example borla mufflers or sth similar. Here in poland we have very nice muffler maker, I'm sure he will handle with thesepipes.

And about gaining HP... I was thinking about 20HP or smth like this number not a 100HP... what do you think????

Oh..one more. With my radio smth is wrong. When I turn it to the max volume, only then I can here some music but very quiet...what can be wrong. 3 days ago it worked perfectly...

Help...

yes it rained.

Sometimes when I turn the vol. max it's very uiet, but sometimes it's trying to go louder... louder but not max vol. I dont know how to name this.

Yesterday mornig when I turned on the radio it worked fine, but 3 hours later it wasn't. Like I said this is happenig for 3 days now. here in Poland It rains very often. Ealier everything was fine. What is wrong??? Oh. One day the radio had this problem - quiet than louder, than quiet and then it slowly started to work fine... for a while... when I hit the brake pedal (to stop) , the radio went quiet again.

I dont want to go to the Lexus Dealer, I dont want to spend a lot of money for some little thing which is broken. Please help me to locate this problem myself.

Thank for any answers again!!!!

• 1 month later...

Hey whats up i jst got my LS400 , i was wondering if you ever changed the exhaust system on your Lexo, i was thinking of going w/Flowmasters on mine, just for the hell of it since i like the noise and i've seen a few Caddies w/flowmasters. Let me know wut u did an i'll let u know if i put the Flows on mine.

Thanks