Never Seen A Ls400 W/rust Until........

Someone here had said that they had NEVER seen any year LS400 with rust. After I read that post- I realized that I never had either. That changed tonight when I seen this 1990 LS400 on E-bay from New York.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...bayphotohosting

I have never seen rust on a Lexus in person- which is not uncommon, because rust is not a problem on cars here in Tennessee, but many of the northern cars really can rust early, with all of the salt that they have to use on the roads up there. Other than this one- has anyone ever seen rust on a Lexus before?

i might of heard that japanese car bodies are plated with something to prevent rust and well i guess its kind of like chrome plating but less the bling :lol: sort of an anti rust plating... well thats all :lol:

I also saw an 1992 Acura Legend with rust in person. Just where the rust is on the Lexus (in above link). It looked like as if the paint had been chipped before and nobody took care of it and it gotten worse over time, leading with rust (there were a lot, a lot, a lot of scratches on the car and it was white).

Most vehicles have a lot of layers now in their rust protection systems. The entire paint system works in concert to prevent rust.

Here is a quick summary of the layers.

Electrogalvanized steel body panels (sometimes double sided).

Some manufacturers use pre-primed (coil coated) steel for outer body panels.

Phosphate layer (typically tri-metal --- nickel, zinc, manganese).

Electrocoat.

Primer Surfacer.

Basecoat.

Clearcoat.

If you have a pearl coat paint (tri coat - normally Pearl White) you have another layer between the basecoat and the clearcoat.

Tom

That appears to be surface rust on what is a damaged panel with exposed steel, that will happen to any car. Thats not body perforation...

That may be, but I still have never seen a LS400 with rust until this one....... :D

Having been raised near Syracuse NY, the worst part about rust isn't the paint, but rather the undercarriage. Everything underneath the car rusts out first. It is all over every part under a car even though the bodies now look okay. Makes it a bear to fix anything. Exhaust sytems only last a few years. If rust ids hsowing on the outside, you can bet the underside is totalled.

I know what you mean- while cars here in Tennessee do not have rust problems, I have seen some cars originally from up north driving down here with a lot of rust. I even once bought a 1994 Chevrolet Lumina that was originally from northeastern Ohio. It appeared 100% rust free and I thought nothing of it. It was later when I thought I would look under the car and it I was suprised at all of the surfact rust on the undercarriage, but then I realized that this was a northern Ohio car. I have seen northern cars on E-Bay and they also seem to have a odd looking color to a lot of the parts under the hood, as if the salt has eaten away at them. Luckily, this is not a problem on cars here in the south.