Desert Car Care

I am gonna be in the hot desert sun for the entire summer. My IS 300 is my firt nice car that I want to take really good care of. Can anyone give me as detailed description as possible on what is the best way to care for the paint of my car? Detailing, wax, sealant, etc. are all the same to me right now. Sorry for being a total noob. I am more interested in PROTECTING the paint than giving it a show car shine (at least for now). Thanks!

i am stationed in the middle of the mojave desert, not much you can do, always keep it covered, tint protects interior, good wax protecting job, aromoral on your stuff can evaporate into the windows, i suggest using very light coat if u do. dont drive close to people, rocks fly like krazy

I lived in Las Vegas for a couple of years, as well as the high desert of Lancaster, Cal, and I can tell you one most important thing-Keep your car out of wind and sun whenever possible. I found that it was impossible to keep a car cover on my new Accord in Lancaster, since I lived in an apartment without a garage, and, due to the high winds, it ended up looking like the exterior had been treated with rubbing compound.

My 1994 LS400, on the other hand, has always been garage-kept, and looks great.

Beyond the exterior sand-blast effect, there is also the cracking of the dash and the front seats due to the extreme sun. Front and even rear sunshades, plus dark window tints are mandatory. Believe me, there is no chemical compound that can stop the effects of sun and wind in the desert. But hey, there's no salt or mud or rain or snow or humidity-so if you protect your Lexus from the sun and wind, it will look beautiful for many years. Best of luck.

I have a little experience from my days in Palm Springs. If you park in the sun, your interior will take a bigger beating than the exterior. sunshades help, but cracking a window or sunroof will help even more. The leather will dry out fast so keep it conditioned.

I agree with luvmy98LS400, I live in the Palm Springs area where it gets over 120 outside and in your car can get to nearly 200. I just had the windows on my LS400 tinted and it helps alot and we have not gotten to our hot season yet.

Keep in mind that it is critical to "crack" a window to help the car stay cool in the summer heat, especially since I just read that having the windows tinted INCREASES the interior temperatures with the engine off, not decreases them. I read this in an article about a person who left her child in a car here in Houston, and thought the tint would keep the car cooler with the motor off. Sadly, she was wrong.

Yes, the tint protects the finishes, however.

I would use a good sealant; several coats of Zaino Z-2 or Z-5 (plus ZFX) which is one of the most durable sealants, after proper preparation. Then during the summer apply the Z-6 gloss after each washing. Keep a window cracked and even consider a solar powered window fan to keep the air moving. I agree with the use of a good protectant (Z-16) on the interior vinyl and exterior trim (if you have leather, use Z-10). And keep the windows clean, inside and out! There are certainly other very good products available, but Zaino seems to be among those providing the most durable finish (per the Autopia website). A wax will not last in the desert sun and heat. And if possible, put an awning over it as much as possible.

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Is this too obvious?

Car Cover:

Protect your investment with a car cover, outdoors, car covers offer unequalled protection against ultra-violet radiation (UVR) they are water resistant and provide protection from acid rain, pollution, bird excrement, tree sap and wind blown debris. Used for long-term vehicle storage, either in the garage or outdoors, car covers protect against accidental scratches and dings from passers-by, car doors, lawn mowers, sporting equipment, bikes and pets. For relative ease of handling choose a cover with a fabric weight of between 4-7 oz /sq. yd

Intense Sun: Sunbrella™- durable long-lasting fabric that protects interior and exterior finish. Provides almost complete UVR protection for extended outdoor use, fade and water resistant, sun and heat protection for high sun, little rain, desert type areas (AZ, TX, NV, etc)

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*

TexusLexus94 is right about the tinted windows, it's not going to make the car stay cool, but it will be cooler than if you don't have them tinted. Lowering a window just 1 inch will help you could even tilt the sunroof. Since heat rises it will go out the sunroof.

TOGWT has a great point about the car cover, as long as you don't mind taking the time to put it on and take it back off standing in 120 degree temps.

Who told you tinted windown increased the temps inside the car? That is definately untrue. Good quality tint has much greater heat and UV blocking properties than normal glass. Just have a car tinted and get in it after its been sitting in the sun, huge difference.

Oops, my mistake. Yes, window tinting lowers the cabin temperature.

What I should have said, based on a recent article in the Houston Chronicle, is that cracking the windows is a better idea than leaving your child in a locked car with the windows closed, whether it has tinted windows or not.

My apologies.

Hey Texus, not problem, we all make mistakes. Here in the Palm Springs area, every year you hear of some dumb parent or pet owner who left thier child or pet in a car and they die. :chairshot: Heat is nothing to mess with.

Several years ago, I put a thermomiter on the dash of a car in the summer heat, it got over 180 in about 10 min.

Hey, TexasLexus, you may not be as confused as it first seemed. I think everybody should paste the address below, and see what you think. Apparently, having dark tint without reflectiveness CAN mean that clear windows don't heat up as fast as dark ones. This article is from the Vegas newspaper, so they otta' know a lot about heat.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/200...s/21568428.html

Amazing.....

How about the solar powered fans that attach to your windows. I think you roll them down a little and insert them. The sun powers the fan to keep your car ventalated. Anyone use them?

VBdenny, have you seen these fans before? I have not heard of them. Let me know where to get them.

Check this link. We got one for our daughter-in-law's SUV and it does keep the car much cooler than with just the windows cracked.

http://www.brandsonsale.com/solar-car-fan.html