Quick Pick Me-up

johnfw

yeah, exhaust is a good pick me up. dont go too wide or you'll lose back pressure which will be the opposite of what you want. torque converters, intake, grounding your car will do the job too.

a tourque converter doesnt change gear ratio. what it will do is i guess you can say engage with the transmission at a higher rpm like a clutch engaging at a higher rpm to get a faster launch. i havent had a hopped up converter so you might have to ask around but i would think that depending on the stall speed you choose it will become less streetable, in other words it will become less comfortable under normal driving conditions.

if you dont mind a bit louder car you can go for an exhaust from the headders ,get rid of your kittens, and back and hopefully you dont live anywhere where they check for emmisions. then go for an intake. that will give you improved throttle response and hopefully the extra juice you were looking for.

Johnfw, the best way to get a feeling of more power would most likely be to find a way to advance the timing and engine parameters from oem settings. Not sure if there is an ecu reflash or aftermarket programmer for those things. That might be the best bang for your buck without going to serious power adders. This will allow timing advance and manipulation of shift points through electronic means. Another idea for firmer shifts is to have the valve bodies worked over in the oem transmission. You will definitely need to locate and consult a performance shop, most likely a high end one, that has their wits about them. It won't be cheap. But cheaper than going with big power adders. Intake and exhaust mods are really just cosmetic while slightly changing performance curves. They are not cost effective. But they can be fun and look cool.

You can get the valve body and a torque convertor from MV Automatics in Australia for around $700 AUS. Keep in mind that it doesnt cover shipping and the torque convertor is not light. If you do upgrade the trans youre going to have to get a better cooler for it as well