Bike rack for UC250h?

Has anyone found either (1) a trunk-mounted bike rack for the UX, or (2) a trailer hitch receiver that will fit the UX?

When I bought the UX this year, it never occurred to me that you couldn’t put a bike rack on it! My Thule trunk-mounted rack that worked just fine on my CT200h won’t fit the UX. I checked the websites for Thule, Yakima, and Saris, and they have no compatible trunk-mounted racks. I think it’s because the rear hatch opening is so high. My preference would be a hitch mounted rack, but I can’t find a trailer hitch for it, either. U-Haul’s website says I would have to bring my car to Tempe, AZ to have one custom-made. As I live on the east coast, that is not practical. 
I could get the factory cross bars and then install a roof mounted bike rack. But I’m short and don’t have a lot of upper body strength, so I can’t lift a bike on top of the car. 
Has anyone successfully solved the problem of transporting bikes with the UX? 

You could probably have a receiver hitch fabricated without going to Arizona to have it done.  Some full service trailer supply companies fabricate receiver hitches.  There's one near me here in the Kansas City area and you might find one or more where you live if you check around.

• 1 year later...
On 11/28/2020 at 3:05 PM, Valerie9 said:

Has anyone found either (1) a trunk-mounted bike rack for the UX, or (2) a trailer hitch receiver that will fit the UX?

When I bought the UX this year, it never occurred to me that you couldn’t put a bike rack on it! My Thule trunk-mounted rack that worked just fine on my CT200h won’t fit the UX. I checked the websites for Thule, Yakima, and Saris, and they have no compatible trunk-mounted racks. I think it’s because the rear hatch opening is so high. My preference would be a hitch mounted rack, but I can’t find a trailer hitch for it, either. U-Haul’s website says I would have to bring my car to Tempe, AZ to have one custom-made. As I live on the east coast, that is not practical. 
I could get the factory cross bars and then install a roof mounted bike rack. But I’m short and don’t have a lot of upper body strength, so I can’t lift a bike on top of the car. 
Has anyone successfully solved the problem of transporting bikes with the UX? 

I'm also trying to find a way to carry my 55 lb eMTB Devinci AC. Still no UX listed in the fitment guides for Thule, Saris, or Yakima, but was thinking of trying the Saris Bones EX 2- Bike hatch rack if I can find one locally (Victoria, BC, Canada). Think maybe the rack manufacturers haven't tried fitting the UX because there aren't enough of them around to warrant it (maybe?). If I find one that will work I'll post pics/info...

So I picked up a Hollywood Racks Over-The-Top F2 2-bike rack & attached it this morning. Very good quality & fits my '22 UX250H very well. Had to use the supplied 'hatch huggers' for the side straps, and the bottom straps are attached at the lower corners instead of the bottom as the buckles are too close to the bottom of the hatch. The rack feels very secure and the only place the foam pieces touch the car are on the glass and the base of the licence plate/bumper junction. I'll attach some pics. My bike weighs about 55lbs, & I had to use a seatpost to steering stem 'beam', but so far no issues. They say 'Not for use with electric bikes', but if the rack is rated for 2 35 lb bikes I don't know why there'd be a problem carrying 1 55 lb bike. I'll post again after a few uses if I discover any problems. Oh ya, the rack cost me $379 CDN (+ tax).

20220122_154444.jpg

20220122_154707.jpg

20220122_154606.jpg

20220122_154948.jpg

20220122_150149.jpg

• 2 months later...

Scott, thank you for sharing your information for a bike rack.  I've been searching for options since I bought my UX.   I suspect that you wouldn't be able to put 2 kayaks on the roof with this rack?  Looks like the top bar will be in the way?  Thoughts?

thank you.

Hi Hol. It would depend on how far apart the kayaks are at the point where they'd be beside the top bar of the rack. It's only about 18" wide so maybe the kayaks could sit on either side of it OK. Maybe the kayaks curve in enough at that point (just above the spoiler) that they'd clear? Or if they mount higher than the bar it should be no problem... 

• 2 months later...

I also bought the 2022 Lexus UXh after being repeatedly assured by the dealership that I could install a hitch. They are now saying that the 2022 does not have that capability (also the 2022 NXh, which they also assured me could accommodate one). I purchased a hitch by EcoHitch that the dealership thought would work. They were unable to install, and I had to return it. 

I will continue to follow here. Very frustrating. I also saw the Tempe, AZ, option, which is not an option!

Lexus Owners Club
This post was recognized by Lexus Owners Club!

1990LS400 was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 35 points.

23 hours ago, BeckM said:

I also bought the 2022 Lexus UXh after being repeatedly assured by the dealership that I could install a hitch. They are now saying that the 2022 does not have that capability (also the 2022 NXh, which they also assured me could accommodate one). I purchased a hitch by EcoHitch that the dealership thought would work. They were unable to install, and I had to return it. 

I will continue to follow here. Very frustrating. I also saw the Tempe, AZ, option, which is not an option!

I don't expect a receiver hitch to ever be introduced for the UX since it's been in production for quite a long time.  If a receiver hitch was going to be available, it would have happened in the first year or two of UX production.

Most of your options have been presented in this thread.  You could get a hatch mount bike rack.  You could buy cross bars and a bike carrying product for them and carry your bike(s) on the roof.  You could find a company that can fabricate a receiver hitch for you.  Where in the wilds of Missouri do you live?  Unfortunately, a fabricated hitch can get pretty expensive but often no more than an OEM hitch.  I'm going to be spending nearly $1,000 to have a class II hitch fabricated for a sports car I'm getting.  The hitch is going to be used only for carrying bikes.

As much as I hate carrying bikes on a roof, that's what I would do if I had a UX.  But that would work mainly for "normal" bikes.  I sure wouldn't want to hoist a 60 pound e-bike up to a roof. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 1/19/2022 at 8:17 PM, Kim W said:

I recently traded in my Lexus UX 200 and have a custom made bike hitch to sell. I currently have it listed on Facebook Marketplace. If interested contact me. I am in Central Florida. 

I’m assuming you sold this already?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/23/2022 at 12:04 AM, 950SM said:

So I picked up a Hollywood Racks Over-The-Top F2 2-bike rack & attached it this morning. Very good quality & fits my '22 UX250H very well. Had to use the supplied 'hatch huggers' for the side straps, and the bottom straps are attached at the lower corners instead of the bottom as the buckles are too close to the bottom of the hatch. The rack feels very secure and the only place the foam pieces touch the car are on the glass and the base of the licence plate/bumper junction. I'll attach some pics. My bike weighs about 55lbs, & I had to use a seatpost to steering stem 'beam', but so far no issues. They say 'Not for use with electric bikes', but if the rack is rated for 2 35 lb bikes I don't know why there'd be a problem carrying 1 55 lb bike. I'll post again after a few uses if I discover any problems. Oh ya, the rack cost me $379 CDN (+ tax).

20220122_154444.jpg

20220122_154707.jpg

20220122_154606.jpg

20220122_154948.jpg

20220122_150149.jpg

Hey,

I just got the same rack. In another forum folks have been commenting on the plastic hatch and thinness of the glass as a potential risk for damage to the car. Any issues so far?

Used this Saris Bones on a MR2 Spyder and VW Golf 2.0tdi DSG without problems:

Saris-Bones-3-bike-4010335315.thumb.jpg.83190245c8786a95f767da2e6ecd2c09.jpg       

Thule from Sweden also make one that can be used on most cars:

Thule900700.thumb.jpg.525a5029a6f2568dce4228a832d3a9b4.jpghollywood-racks-express-3-bike-rack.thumb.jpg.fedc5e8998af2bd1420d4399937566f6.jpg

Both should keep a bike high enough to not disturb the rear sensors.