New Rx300 Potential Problem...

stryke

Guys,

I just picked up a 2001 RX300 yesterday. When the car is running at idle and I stand next to it I hear like a hissing sound from the rear. It almost sound like what you would hear if you pulled a nail out of the tire. I believe it is coming from the fuel pump as I hear the fuel pump in the same spot with the same sound when the switch it turned on without starting the car and then it stops. When the engine is running it stays the whole time.

My question is if this sound is normal, is it the fuel pump and do other RX300's have it also? Is it a fuel pump problem and if so will the Lexus dealer service it under warranty?

Also, I know brakes are typically maintenance and not covered by warranty, but at high speeds the steering wheel vibrates when I hit the brakes. I suspect an obvious warped rotor issue. How is this addressed by factory warranty if at all?

Thanks in advance!

Gil

P.S. Glad to be back on board with another Lexus. :)

The noise from the pump is normal ,all cars do that.

As you have verified it is the same noise made when the key is turned forward before starting.

The brakes sometimes will be replaced under warr,try the dealer and see what they say.

skperformance,

Thank you for the response. While I know that all cars have a slight fuel pump noise, this seemed a little excessive to me especially coming from a "quiet running car." It is loud enough that when I stood in front of the car and someone started it I ran to the back to see if there was air leaking out of somewhere. Very noticeable. :(

I will check with my local dealer on the rotors. :)

Thanks again!

Gil

I'll take it in for that. Also, is scheduled service included with the warranty period or do we pay the dealer for it? I know BMW includes services under warranty.

Thanks! :)

I have a 2001 RX300 and the fuel pump makes no sound at all. Take you car back to the dealer and have it fixed as this is a warranty item.

The same should apply with your brakes if they are warped or distorted...the dealer should fix them under warranty.