Squeeky Brakes...

My brakes are squeeky when I step on the breaks unless it is really softly. That means that I need to change them right? So how would I go about doing that? Is it that hard? with a 93 sc300 what do I need to do the job and how much do you think it would cost? Any tips? Thanks.. I think the sound is from the front but I dont know for sure.

A brake job is easy to do if you know what you are doing. I suspect you may not have done this before? If so - forgive me. Otherwise, I highly recommend you have someone with you that knows how to do a basic brake job just to help you out. That or take it to a mechanic you trust. Maybe he will let you work with him, but I doubt it.

If you plan to do work on your vehicle you should always purchase the factory service manuals. They are worth their weight in gold. I find myself repeating this too often. These books are much more reliable than any fool you meet on the internet. Not that we are fools here... ;)

The only way to know for sure if you need a brake job is to inspect the pads and rotors. Take the wheels off. Check the thickness of the pad. You can see it without removing anything else. Heck, you might be able to see it without taking off the wheel - I can on mine. If it is 5mm thick or less they need to be replaced I'd say - not looking at my books now. So don't hold me too it. That might be way too thin. The rotors have a thickness spec. too. They can be resurfaced once - but I replace them. Just cuz. Find pads almost anywhere. Our approved vendors are the best though. You will probably want clips, shims, and anti-squeal grease (wich might be the reason you brakes make noise now). The only place I know of to get those is the dealer.

5mm sounds like a full pad to me.

5mm=1/4 inch

If it goes below 2mm, then it may be time to change soon.

My brakes squeal right now and my pads are near new.

The problem with mine is when the last guy changed pads, he didn't machine the rotors, so they developed burn-spots.

Eavey time pads are changed, the rotors should be machined.

This isn't as crucial for the rear brakes, but the fronts are a must.

I recommend using OEM Lexus brake pads, although the rotors could be aftermarket.

I had a set of aftermarket pads installed on my LS400 and had to put up with the groaning sound they made (when almost stopped) for several years until they wore out. The OEM Lexus pads are quiet and work great.