I had a progression of problems New Years Eve that eventually led to abandoning the car.  First, the cruise control would not function properly in a slowdown zone on I69.  Second, I noticed the power steering was gone.  I exited the highway and pulled over into a Target parking lot.  On the way, my inside electrical functions, radio, heat, display, etc... began shutting down one by one.  I had no indication of an electrical problem at the time, only the symptoms.  The headlights eventually went out but I was able to get the car parked.

The next day I got the car started after charging the battery.  I reasoned my alternator may have been out and I was surviving on battery power.  Later in the day the battery acted as if it were drained.  The battery has been tested (only 1 year old) and it checks out fine.  My local mechanic in my small town cannot get me in until next week. 

I have no codes or anything else to go on.  But any insight into my problems is appreciated.

Nye

You're exactly right. That's the alternator. That's the exact sequence that happens on all Lexus' with alternator issues. Power steering is electric in these cars. Nav screens will flash then go out.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By otherworldliness
      Recently, I noticed that power steering has been making a ton of whining noise when I turn the steering wheel. After topping off the power steering reservoir with the Dextron ATF fluid, I checked the surrounding near the reservoir, there was no signs of leakage. With reservoir at correct level, the power steering would behave normally again. But that was short-lasted as fluid level would drop again.
      I ended up getting on my knee at the driver side (not passenger side), and noticed a ton of oil leak. I used my hand to touch the fluid and noticed that it is indeed the power steering fluid. I took a photo, but can anyone shed the light on what component may be at fault on the driver side? I thought the PS pump is on the passenger side. I haven't jacked up the car to take a better look yet, but I will do it soon.
      Note: the attached photo was taken on the driver side near the driver side front wheel

• By The"jasmine"SC400
      Hey guys, I just bought my first sc400 and I have a couple questions, my biggest concern is that she keeps burning alternators i read somewhere that it might be my power steering? Or someone mentioned the valve cover cap? Any help would be greatly appreciated as i cant afford to take her to a shop, also any general tips about this car Would be awesome, thanks guys!
    • By Ron Oldschool Smith
      My LS 400 power steering seems to. E in highway mode all the time I have replaced the rack n pinion the power steering pump and have had a couple of times the steering is amazing for about an hour then it goes right back to Hwy mode and stays like that for months 
      any ideas would be very appreciated 
      thanks Ron 
    • By jjc1971
      Hi all,
      New to Lexus and new to here. I did try to search but couldn't find a thread related to this. Also posted this on the wrong thread - sorry. 
      Bought a 2004 RX300 a couple of weeks ago and I've been really pleased so far. But I now have an issue. A couple of days ago the belts squeaked for about a minute but it wasn't first start up of the day so I noticed and thought that's odd.
      Since then belts have squeaked a few times and again for a minute only and not from cold.
      Yesterday got in it to leave work at 5pm and got the squeak but also the red battery light was on for the first time so I turned off all the power hungry items. After about 5 mins the battery light went out again, and then I pulled over to pick up groceries. When i restarted car started ok with no noise and no red light but no power. There was nothing to indicate it was in limp mode, no warning lights just wouldn't pull.
      Any thoughts? My initial uneducated thought is alternator. Alternator may have semi 'seized' so with the squeak yesterday was alternator refusing to turn, but then it did turn but is so stiff its basically nearly stopping the engine but it is reluctantly turning hence the battery light is out.
      Is there any way I can test the alternator? Is my theory idiotic?
      Any help greatly appreciated.
    • By jjc1971
      Hi all,
      New to Lexus and new to here. I did try to search but couldn't find a thread related to this. 
      Bought a 2004 RX300 a couple of weeks ago and I've been really pleased so far. But I now have an issue. A couple of days ago the belts squeaked for about a minute but it wasn't first start up of the day so I noticed and thought that's odd.
      Since then belts have squeaked a few times and again for a minute only and not from cold.
      Yesterday got in it to leave work at 5pm and got the squeak but also the red battery light was on for the first time so I turned off all the power hungry items. After about 5 mins the battery light went out again, and then I pulled over to pick up groceries. When i restarted car started ok with no noise and no red light but no power. There was nothing to indicate it was in limp mode, no warning lights just wouldn't pull.
      Any thoughts? My initial uneducated thought is alternator. Alternator may have semi 'seized' so with the squeak yesterday was alternator refusing to turn, but then it did turn but is so stiff its basically nearly stopping the engine but it is reluctantly turning hence the battery light is out.
      Is there any way I can test the alternator? Is my theory idiotic?
      Any help greatly appreciated.