Foglights Not Working

flanker271

Hello,

Ever since I purchased my 92 LS400 6 months ago, I never touched the foglight switch.....I may have forgotten that it existed. Well last night I noticed the switch, which I twisted it on while the headlights are on. Nothing happend. :huh: The two yellow foglights both didn't light up.

I would guess the chance of both bulbs burn out is very slim. Could there be a fuse somewhere that controls the foglights? if not, usually how long do these bulbs last?

There is a fuse, but don't rule out the possibility that they could both be burned out. Not everyone keeps a close eye on those bulbs and gets them replaced. I do a lot of night driving (a little over an hour a day) and my bulbs in my SC last only about a year and a half.

either the bulb or a fuse

i fixed an IS 300 last night that blew the fog lights and taillight running lights which stopped working 4 months ago for a guy

It was 2 different fuses

one in the kick panel on the drivers side for the tails and the fog on the passenger one

Just read through my manual. LS has Foglight fuse located in the driver's side kick panel as opposed to the IS, which is in the passenger side.

The problem is, I can't find this kick panel. The manuel drew a transparent outline of the car and shows two fuse box floating inside. The driver's side kick panel looks like it directly above the front driver's side wheel, but I couldn't find it under the hood...I then tried from inside of the car, but can't find it either!

Just needed to know how to gain access to this fuse kick panel so I can see what exactly is wrong with the foglight.

Thanks

in my car( ES 300) the panel is on the dash to the lower left of the steering wheel

For the IS the kick panel has a small plastic cover that is removed to acess the fuses behind it

It is attached to the sill plate for the door and covers the left wall beside the dead pedal .it should come off by removing a plastic nut by hand and pulling the panel towards the rear of the car

the one under the hood should be under a cover beside the battery ,usually a long black plastic cover

I think my repair shop owner once told me that there is a fusible link or similar connection for the fog lights that is subject to corrosion. The fog lights on my 90 LS stopped working several times during 13+ years I had it. But I don't know where this link or connection is located - I assume it is under the hood for it to corrode so regularly.

May not be the issue, but keep in mind that these lights will not illuminate if the headlights are turned on "bright". In addition, the main headlight switch has to be on and switched to "low beam" for them to work. Have you tried them like this?

On my 94 LS the kick panel fuse box thing is best accessed if you get out of the car, stick your head where you feet should be while driving (near the pedals, i hope) and look up. i think that there is a cover but i was only in there once. To figure out which fuse goes to which device, u must use the diagram in the manual and i think theres a diagram on the back of the fuse box cover. Once again, the "kick panel" fuse box IS in the car, just under the dashboard.

I hope this helps

1uz-fe

Yes I made sure the low beam is on. I did this at night...turned on foglight switch and went in front of the car to see it, but noooooooooo..

I'll look for this kick panel tonight....will let you guys know how it goes. I hope its the fuse because those bulbs are not cheap...H3C type, $25 per bulb!

Hello again,

I found the kick panel and had to pry it open using a flat screwdriver. The fuse box then is right there in front of me. I couldn't find the "fuse pull-out tool" so I had to yank fuse no.2 out with a pillar. (your neck do get sore after a while)

turned out it was not the fuse thats causing the problem, so I had to assume the worst...lightbulbs. But I did find a burnt out fuse that turned out to be the cigarette lighter fuse, which stopped working several months ago--fixed something unexpectedly today. :cheers: I'll buy the bulbs.

Thanks for all your replies