Baffled With Wheel Fitment

KJG

So I was cruising google and some threads on other forums and came up with the right wheel size, offset and tire size for our '92 LS400. The car has the standard H&R springs on it so it has a nice rake to it. We decided on a 18x8.5 +35 for up front and 18x9.5 +30 for the rear. We got 245/40 for the front and 275/40 in the rear. We test fitted the wheels today and ran into this

1442182840_zps86b1c3ad.jpg

Not the look we were going for. Other cars I've seen with this same wheel size and tire combo sit just about flush with the fender. I forgot to snap photos of the rear but I figured since the suspension was unloaded I was not getting a accurate look so I didn't worry about it. I got the bright idea to put a jackstand under the control arm and let the weight of the car down to get the fronts to come down and that is what you see in the picture. It is a new wheel from avid1

1442182933_zpsad7eff19.jpg

1442020871_zps8e266150.jpg

It is really sharp wheel and I really like the design but I'm not going for the poked out look. And if I had the pads shaved it would push the fronts into the spindle. They measure right in the rear for the offset, going to do the calcs for the fronts in a little while. I just wonder if it is the design of the wheel and the front surface that throwing things off. Or the fact I don't have the car down level. Has anyone run into this issue before where the specs on the wheel was off or something on the car was wrong? They were not bolted down but they were seated.

That is not going to happen. I'm not into the stretched tire, cambered look. We just wanted to upgrade it and put a little more rubber under there. I think the design of this wheel is just for that. Aspec wheel has been awesome to work with on this. I've already picked out another wheel and have boxed those up ready to send them back. I was just shocked at the fitment and thought something was up with the car seeing that I researched several vehicles to get the offset and tire combo that I went with.

To tell you the truth, I don't know. I think the advertised offset is wrong. Several people have told me that with the offset I had there is no way they should have stuck out that far. I agree due to all the pictures I've seen.

Solved. Worried at first but we bit the bullet and put the tires on them and bolted them up. The fronts fit perfect. No rubbing or hitting. Out back is a different story. I told my son the tire is too big but with a little camber and rolling the quarters it should be alright. If not then a smaller tire will be in order. I was going to order another pair of 18x8.5's for the rear but we'd never sell the 9.5's so we'll have to work with them. The only other thing we can do is go down to a 255/40/18 in the rear and that should clear it no problem. The 275/40's are just too tall. Anyway, some won't like it, I think it looks good and since the car is going to be for my son I think he'll have one of the more unique cars there. The wheel design is nice and it looks great rolling too. Enjoy the journey.

Rears compared to the ones on it. 225/55/16 to 275/40/18

1442676189_zps52c26c58.jpg

Fronts compared 225/55/16 to 245/40/18

1442676181_zps9009b1fd.jpg

All mounted up

1442676175_zpsf1de4454.jpg

Waiting for the new shoes

1442676016_zps3d9810bd.jpg

Front

1442677154_zpsd29a0c9f.jpg

Rear

1442677157_zpsd8451556.jpg

Side

1442677151_zps560f3933.jpg

1442677144_zps882d6a9d.jpg

Suspension hadn't settled yet

1442676232_zps824631d5.jpg

I really don't get young people wanting to drive an old fogey 4 door car? You would think they would be into the SC400 look, they just look like a young guys car. So why would a kid want a 4 door granny and grand pa car? Even a Mercedes CLK430 would be more a kids car than an old Luxury car.

Does not bother me bits big and heavy which means safe. And the insurance is pretty reasonable. I personally don't care for the SC cars myself and neither did my son.

Yeah kinda like every new car there is now. You would think someone in one of the car manufactures design places would wake up.

Maybe Lexus should do retro LS400's, bring back a nice look to the cars.

Does your son like any of the new cars built now?

He is a Subaru fan like most teens. He just likes the older Japanese stuff. I was going to get him a 240sx but you cannot find one that has not been thru the ringer. We will see how this one goes. He likes the VIP look but I won't let him do that to a daily driver.