Phantom Bluetooth

pj8708

OK. Explain this to me?

I don't use a smart phone and because of that, I've never activated my "Blue Tooth" service.

Just a short while ago, I was pulling into my garage when the "Blue Tooth" system turned on and I could hear the phone ringing. Someone said hello, and I replied....it was my Mother in Law trying to answer her ringing phone. Then my wife's voice came on. My wife was trying to call her Mother but my "Blue tooth got brought in.

Any thoughts?

Paul

• Like 1

I don't think Bluetooth has to be activated on the car, it is just there. Apparently someones phone was in a search mode and linked with your car but not sure how that would happen.You do not need a smart phone to use bluetooth, many older flip phones had bluetooth capability. Now having BOTH your wife and mother-in-law on the phone would be something I would have to learn about as I could see where that could be a handful I was probably one of the very last holdouts for a smart phone but I will say, it really is something that one would want to live without. Once the clock rolled over to 2015, I went a picked up an iPhone6+ which is perfect and easily pairs with things.

Bite the bullet, get an iPhone and things will be good.

Paul, does your wife drive the ES as well as the RX? Maybe she paired her cell phone with the system in the ES and her phone linked with the ES Bluetooth as you pulled into the garage.

We have a similar situation with "her" Prius and "my" Sienna. The vehicle systems will sometimes link to the wrong phone when both of us are in range.

After pulling out of our garage when both of us are home, I have gotten into the habit of pressing the off-hook buttons on the steering wheels to verify on the nav screen that my phone is linked to the vehicle's system.

Paul, you're not one of those people with a perfectly good Bluetooth hands free system who holds their cell phone to his ear while driving, are you? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

And doesn't your RX and/or ES have the Enform app suite? Enform doesn't work without a smart phone - preferable Android and not one of those nasty iPhones!

Actually, I use one of the old ear trumpets. It works pretty good as long as your arm can stand holing up the thing. LOL

My wife drives the RX while I drive the ES. However, after asking a few pointed questions, I found out that she HAD paired her Iphone to the ES.

Sorry about the false alarm. So it turns out that both of were right. I feel pretty silly.

I do have another one for you though. Friday, the 3r'd, I went out to run some errands and the ES was dead as a door nail. The instrument panel was totally dark with no warning lights at all. The dome lights were dark, radio and A/C, the same. The car has only been in service since 2012. And that is light service. We only take short hops for travel. About five years ago, I had left a dome light on and had the same experience.

I jumped the battery and it took right off. I checked to see if any light or accessory had been left on, and that was a negative. I put my trickle charger on it for 12 hours, and it seems to be working fine.

I already have an appointment with my dealer for my second service and to change off my snow tires.

Should I have the dealer do a load test on the battery?

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Bluetooth works both ways. In other words, one of the phones of the 3 involved is setup to search for Bluetooth and the car (one of the 3) was there to connect. Your mother-in-laws phone might have been setup (maybe she doesn't even know it) to search for Bluetooth connections and connected to your car. Since yours was running, your car picked-up the call between both.