Leaving The Family

OK. Here's the danger in me knowing a little...and not quite enough...so I am parroting here.

When I was asking about buying this car, and had been told to watch out for the transmission the guy told me that the transmission tends to overheat. Now I do not understand the interaction between the trans and the coolant systems enough to know WHY...but my mechanic says that in his mind, the trans is too small for the engine in the es300.

As far as your question re: transmission fluid. Have read a lot and it is just enough to repeat that I only know enough to parrot....don't understand the fine points but here is what I have learned.

It is recommended that newer es 300 folks use Toyota IV...and that we who have say, the 93 use DEXRON...used to be II but that has been dicontinued,,,so my guy used DEXRON III. I called a Lexus dealership...mechanic there said that is what THEY recommend and use, as well. SO, if that is the same as what your AT shop uses, then ok. Call dealer and ask someone in servicing or read, perhaps some of the tranny links folks have placed in this thread.

I am really sorry to read about the problems you have had. It makes me sad for you....and nervous for personal reasons, of course.

When I read about your head probs, and all, I get freaked b/c that is what happened to my Malibu....everything warped....radiator and coolant leaks...that is why I bought the Lexus...hopefully I have not bought into the same set of headaches.

I notice that the woman never had a radiator flush...am doing that this weekend. Will read up on dangers and advantages. Anyone got any input?

hummin'along

Well, lucky for me when I was having head gasket problems, all that was damaged by it was...well nothing! The head gaskets were blown but it didn't cause any other problems other than the cracked radiator top, so that's good in my opinion. The extra pressure didn't even break the 11 year old hoses!

Lex3486,

i own a 94 LS with almost 165,000 mi on it. my car is rather fast once you are moving. from a stop the LS is a dog. next time you test drive an LS try this: go about 25 mph and STOMP on the gas pedal. Im not sure if you are aware of the "button" under the gas pedal. You said you were going about 25-30 and floored it and it didn't downshift to first gear right? It will if you FLOOR the gas. you can push the gas pedal down to when it feels like it stops and then push even harder. dont be afraid of breaking anything. also remember the LS's gas pedal is hinged on the floor and not at the top of the gas pedal so push with your toes at the very top of the pedal. The pedal should "click" down and back up when u let off. This will definatly throw you back in the seat right around 25 mph. Dont think that the LS is slow. it only is from a start. heres an example: I was with 2 friends in my LS at a light. Next to me pulls up a red IS300 with texas plates. it was an automatic and i know this b/c i work at the lexus dealer and remember driving this specific car (not too many red Is300's from TX in NC) the light turns green and we both floor it. He got a pretty good jump from a start b/c the LS weighs 2 tons. At 60 mph we were even and i was moving past him quick. We raced up to 115 mph at which point i saw him drop off quickly when he realized he was SLOW. I was easily 10 car lenghts ahead of him when he quit. Please reconsider the LS. I bet you that you wont regret it.

THAT'S RIGHT! I DO REMEMBER READING SOMEWHERE ABOUT "THE BUTTON"! I bet that's what it is b/c I drove it with my dad and the old guy who owned it and I didn't wanna scare anyone but I was really curious as to what 250 V8 Lexus HP feels like, but I didn't "stomp" it so I guess that I didn't get that button goin right. Next time I drive one, I'll try it out. ;)