Lexus No #1 - Consm-Reports Again

pj8708

For the third year in a row, readers of Consumer Reports have chosen Lexus as the number one brand in overall reliability, road test score, and overall score against other models tested.

In my view, repetition is never boring. LOL

Paul

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2015/02/24/lexus-takes-first-place-in-consumer-reports-annual-brand-rankings/

Lexus at the top of a CR ranking that I feel mainly focuses on reliability was expected.

I owned a Mazda CX-5 for 2 1/2 years and sold it to a family member. The design, reliability and premium feel was outstanding for a affordable compact SUV. If that's a sign of what to expect from Mazda for all of its latest gen products, they deserve to be in at least top 5.

IMHO I'm not convinced that CR's view of the automotive brands is that important. Certainly I find their reliability data to be some of the best available and very helpful, but beyond that no thanks.

I think all of our comments are fair and interesting. But maybe the most important section of the reports to focus on, is the Lexus brand within it's own category of luxury cars and competing against those makes which fall within the same value for the price category.

Again, Lexus finished not only at the top, but way above BMW and Mercedes. If I worked at a luxury brand dealer, I would be a little nervous now.

Paul

I'm waiting to see if Mercedes or Lexus can knock BMW out of the #1 US premium brand sales spot. Both have a chance.

Hi Steve,

It's been my understanding that for 2011, 2012, and 2013, Lexus was the top sales leader in the luxury car category. In 2014, Lexus got knocked of their pedestal and is trying to regain that spot. Your guess is my guess in that I think much of Lexus success is heavily weighted from reliability.

Paul

The 2nd tier of luxury brands (or wannabe lux) is interesting and very competitive too with Audi, Acura, Caddy and Lincoln fighting in that territory, but all of these 2nd tier players are way behind BMW, Mercedes and Lexus currently.

Just my two cents, I would not own a BMW, the performance may be great, but the maintenance end is a nightmare. Watched my neighbor fix a oil seal leak and he ended up taking apart the whole front of the engine before he could get to it. Saw lots of other weird design flaws in his car also...Definetly not mechanically friendly.

Yes, my friends with 5 and 7 series (and X5) BMW's and higher mileage (over 80K) have experienced expensive repairs and maintenance. The exceptions were the older 4 cylinder normally aspirated models, I've seen those run for well over 150K with minimal problems. I hope the latest BMWs will be better, but that still needs to be proven.