1St Generation Pin Stripes ?

Exhaustgases

Even dealer installed ones are easy to remove if they have just been done. I bought a vehicle with pinstripes. They pulled off with no problem. I hate them. They only look good on a '77 Trans Am. :-)

Other than Burt Reynolds in a Screamin' Chicken, black 455, I too am unable to think of a use for pinstripes for cars. In Brooklyn in the 1970's seriously everything (except my cars) seemed to be pinstriped. In fact, some people went wayyyy overboard with all kinds of swirly things. Ugly, ugly, ugly.

Yeah, that certainly was an obnoxious era for cars. Maybe the most pathetic of all was when the put Road Runner stickers on a Plymouth Volare in the late 70's. Oh yeah, the Vega GT with the decals. Well, they did cover the fenders which rusted completly through in 18 months. Vegas crumbled in clouds of oil smoke and rust in 3 years. Totally the worst car Chevy ever made. While the Pinto rusted and blew up if you smacked it hard, but the engines lasted more than 2 years.

Oh, '73 through the mid 80's were by far the worst for cars.

I came within inches of buying a Cosworth Vega. I worked for a Chevy dealership then. We had one we couldn't sell and they were offering it to me at cost. I ended up buying my '76 Camaro instead. The Vega was black on black and had no air. Not optimal in the south. It was a cool little car though. I saw one in a car show a few years ago.

North or South, the Vega was junk. My friend bought (what he thought) was a "hot" Vega GT. Hot alright. Thing overheated, warped the aluminum cylinders and then smoked like a North Carolina ancestor. Of course then with the road salt, the fenders, and everything else rusted big holes through. After 3 years, his classic investment was about done.

The cars 73-early 80's were the worst. Imagine a Corvette V-8 getting 167HP. Why my IS250 would smoke that!

I'm one for two with stripes on my first gen cars. The *fully* loaded '93 doesn't have them, my '94 Anniversary car has them. They're not tape stripes, either.

Look closely at the stripes for a tiny "L" logo. If you see one, your stripes are the same tape stripes sold as accessories by virtually all Lexus dealers in the 1990's and into the 2000's. Since all the Lexus dealers I ever visited seemed to sell the same aftermarket accessories, my assumption was that they were supplied through the Lexus division of Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. The tape pin strips are often mistaken for paint. The 2000 LS400 I bought in 2003 had the dealer installed pin stripes and they were still in good condition. I immediately removed them using a hair dryer and car wax.

I don't remember being offered pin stripes or other accessories when I bought my first LS400 in 1990 but I think I made it clear that I was interested only in a base LS400 and didn't want to spend a lot of money.

"I don't remember being offered pin stripes or other accessories when I bought my first LS400 in 1990 but I think I made it clear that I was interested only in a base LS400 and didn't want to spend a lot of money."

I got a chuckle out that one Jim. You did not want to spend a lot of money and you are buying a brand new flagship Lexus LS? :huh: :D

I'm thinking most that don't have them, very likely had them removed. If you have an LS that is not yours from day one and doesn't have them then you have no way of knowing if it ever did have them or not. I suppose they could be ordered with out them, but everyone I have seen with them had the painted on stripes.

"I don't remember being offered pin stripes or other accessories when I bought my first LS400 in 1990 but I think I made it clear that I was interested only in a base LS400 and didn't want to spend a lot of money."

I got a chuckle out that one Jim. You did not want to spend a lot of money and you are buying a brand new flagship Lexus LS? :huh: :D

My 1990 LS400 was dirt cheap compared to the similar size BMW 735 that I had just looked at and was also substantially less expensive than the current version of the 1979 mid-size Mercedes I had been driving since new.