What's the difference between test pipes and midpipe? In terms of performance? Volume? Pricing? I've only messed with midpipes before, never quite looked into test pipes until I saw a friend with test pipes on his G37 and it sounded way louder than my previous daily, a 2012 with midpipes and dual muffler deletes (axle back section was 2.5" pipes). I'm currently running midpipes on my 2015 but may decide to go with test pipes if it's louder and has been proven to be better in terms of performance.

Hannibal - My understanding is the midpipe and test pipe are the same thing, a common aftermarket accessory. Essentially just a section of pipe to complete exhaust after removal of cat converter. Main impact is sound, not enough power increase to be significant.

Not sure how a California car would pass smog (6 years out for new car, every 2 years thereafter) with that in place, maybe people just reinstall cat for testing.

Your IS250 is a 2012 or 2015?

Are you running any axle-back exhaust such as F-Sport or Tannabe?

Years ago, right after 1975 when catalytic converters were first required, many auto parts stores sold " test pipes" which had the same connections as the converter by just a pipe. Highly illegal now. Ill bet they would go off in California with such a device. No smog testing in Virginia but still illegal to remove.

Ahh Hannibal, never heard of either. Aftermarket parts?

Yes, both are aftermarket parts haha.

Hannibal - My understanding is the midpipe and test pipe are the same thing, a common aftermarket accessory. Essentially just a section of pipe to complete exhaust after removal of cat converter. Main impact is sound, not enough power increase to be significant.

Not sure how a California car would pass smog (6 years out for new car, every 2 years thereafter) with that in place, maybe people just reinstall cat for testing.

Your IS250 is a 2012 or 2015?

Are you running any axle-back exhaust such as F-Sport or Tannabe?

Yeah I originally got a midpipe because it increases airflow on my IS and since I have a custom axle back exhaust system, it makes my IS loud. I have the IS250 F Sport and I thought that the car came with a F Sport exhaust but I guess after 2013, Lexus stopped equipping the F Sport exhaust from the factory and put the stock exhaust back on for the F Sport models. When I revved my IS the first night I took delivery, I barely heard the exhaust with the windows up so I know it's a 100% stock exhaust (not even F Sport). My IS is a 2015 model.

Years ago, right after 1975 when catalytic converters were first required, many auto parts stores sold " test pipes" which had the same connections as the converter by just a pipe. Highly illegal now. Ill bet they would go off in California with such a device. No smog testing in Virginia but still illegal to remove.

So they just renamed test pipes to midpipes and included some piping to go with the test pipes? Haha

In the US (2nd gen IS), F-Sport exhaust was always a dealer-installed option or aftersale addition via Lexus parts counter/service department. It's made by HKS, engraved with F-Sport logo. I had it installed on my gen 2 IS350 a couple years ago.

F-Sport ISx50 model cars never came with it as standard equipment. Same goes with the F-Sport springs (Eibach350 equivalents in blue).

Yeah. Still something best not done. My 14 IS 250 is pretty loud when floored.

My loud is unbelievably loud then haha my IS 250 is pretty much silent to me when floored 😂.

In the US (2nd gen IS), F-Sport exhaust was always a dealer-installed option or aftersale addition via Lexus parts counter/service department. It's made by HKS, engraved with F-Sport logo. I had it installed on my gen 2 IS350 a couple years ago.

F-Sport ISx50 model cars never came with it as standard equipment. Same goes with the F-Sport springs (Eibach350 equivalents in blue).

Oh ok never mind then, I don't have the F Sport exhaust. I currently have magnaflow mufflers with 2.5" piping as the axle back portion and am currently running midpipes but I want the exhaust to be louder, and that's why I posted this question haha. I believe that there is a difference in test pipes and midpipes, I'm just not sure and don't know what they are.

Ahh. If it loud you really want. Ditch the mufflers and run straight off the cats. Done that before

Next will be the request for recommendation for ear plugs. :ph34r:

I've never had to use ear plugs for my 2012 XD

• 2 months later...