Mystery Toggle Switch, 2009 Rx 350

Members:

I just purchased a very nice used 2009 RX 350. I am now getting acquainted with the various features and there are many.

There is a RED toggle switch between the MIRROR button and the PWR DOOR button and I have no idea what it does. It is not in my owner's manual and I have called two local dealers and they also do not know what this RED switch is.

Is there someone out there that can help me with this Mystery Switch? This is my first post and I have tried to attach a photo.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

cebceb

P.S. Oh well, I had a very nice photo--but it will not let me embed the photo into this message.

It must be something special since my 2008 has a blank filler in that position.

Maybe:

>passenger ejection seat (fed up with wife)

>driver ejection seat (really fed up with wife)

>switch from forward machine gun to rockets (for heavy traffic)

That's all I've got for now.

Flip it on at night with your lights on and see what happens. If it's nitrous oxide, there will be a tank in the car, somewhere and flipping the switch would produce a 50-200 HP increase under full-throttle conditions.

Somehow, I don't think that's what it is for, however.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses. I think we have now concluded this is an after market add- on by the previous owner.

It might help if I am able to attach a photo. It seems there is no way to embed the photo into this message, so please see the attachment. That is ---if I am successful with the attachment!!

Thanks, ceb

post-155974-0-87101300-1399202186_thumb.

Thanks for the photo.

That is definitely not a OEM "Lexus-like" switch. It is very likely an electrical control of some feature added by the previous owner. It looks like the blank was drilled out and the switch added.

It could be anything and you'll just have to experiment until the function can be found. Now I'm (and likely others) quite curious.

First, check all the lights with the switch on and off. It could control the DRL on/off, fog lights on independently, stop lights shut off (for poaching at night or evading the police), just a few guesses. It would be easiest to check the lighting at night or in a darkened garage.

There will likely be other suggestions from those on here that are more knowledgeable about electrical modifications.

What a great forum this is!! My special thanks go out to Gary since I now know why the installation looks so neat. Someone drilled a hole into the blank filler for my RED mystery switch. And I seemed also to be able to embed photos.

I think that I was born curious and I will track down the purpose of this switch and report back as soon as possible.

For now the mystery continues.

Have a great day!

ceb

Do you have Nav or an entertainment system? It could be an over-ride so it can function without the vehicle at a stop....just a thought.

The mystery continues with the switch. I have checked out all the lights and it has nothing to do with any lights.

As was mentioned above, it might have something to do with the Nav or Entertainment system. I have both of these systems and will need some coaching for these from my teenage grandson.The RED switch issue will now likely have to wait until he is finished school in about two weeks.

The owner of my local auto repair shop said it was very likely installed by either the CIA or NSA and will remain a secret until either I receive top security clearance or I find a young hacker to look into the government files.

At some point the mystery will be solved---but for now it is a good conversation item.

Thanks, ceb

Hi ceb and welcome to the LOC.

I think the solution is pretty obvious. When switched, it energizes the left side "Farcle Tube". which in turn starts the sound system playing soft, romantic music. The front two seats' are reclined to an almost flush position and just by chance a beautiful lady is by your side while you try to explain how to operate the voice commends for the Navigation system.

Actualy. I wonder if the switch could have been for a "behind the grill" radar detector. The owner may have wanted to shut off the power when shuting off the car or given an alert than a certain radar band has been detected.