R - D Transmission Light

dah

I replaced my 1992 LS400 Transmission last May '03 with 340k miles.

Recently the R light has remained on when you put it in drive, with the D on the dash, and the transmission will not change out of 1st gear.

Help.

I have had two towing charges, the neutral safety switch replaced, and no luck so far.

:wacko:

its probably the gear position@sensor and well the light might not have much to do with it but your ecu might be seeing that your still in reverse and reverse doesnt have 4speeds but it would be cool if it did :lol: so the ecu wont let the trans shift.

well thats just my guess but makes sence right?

• 3 weeks later...

:o I recently had a similar problem with my 92 ls400, Come to find out it was the wiring harness in the trunk, going to the trunk deck had 3 broken wires causing the reverse light to stay on. I cut and spliced the wires and I haven't had any problem since.

dah,

I agree with "fatman" that you might want to first check the wires in the left trunk lid hinge. Search this forum for the word "hinge" to see past topics about this problem. When a wire broke in my 90 LS trunk hinge last summer, the reverse light stayed on and the transmission shifted very erratically. That day was the first time I used this forum in which I quickly found the answer and had the problem fixed within an hour.

I replaced my 1992 LS400 Transmission last May '03 with 340k miles.

Great advice checking on the trunk wiring harness....definately check that!!!

How about the service history of the car......for 340K......let us know the details please.

Thanks,