Is 250 Gets Bullied By Cr

In the most recent article of Consumer Reports, The Lexus Is 250 gets a real Smack-Down. They also take on Infinity as well. Very bad.

IMO...they must have had a half dozen shots or more of a real cheap tequilla and instead got into a 1950's era Avanti.

Read the review and please come back with your comments

Paul

http://autos.aol.com/article/consumer-reports-lexus-is-250-infiniti-qx50/

Wow! I never put too much faith in CR anyway. They need to stick with vacuum cleaners and can openers. As you know, I posted when I first got my car about all the bad reviews it had received over the years. I really don't understand. Lexus is top in quality year after year.

Paul, as we say on NICO, Infinity is forever, Infiniti is a car. ;)

We have participated in the Consumer Union owner surveys for over 30 years and have found them to be incredibly accurate. For example, in the first years after purchasing my LS400 in early 1990 I found through Consumer Reports that most other owners of them were having the same problems with their cars that I had reported to them about mine. It was the same with every other car we've bought.

Don't get too tied up in loyalty to car manufacturers. They need to be held accountable just like any other company.

I agree with both of you. I too have used CR many times over the years. In some cases, just to learn what features or expected wear and tear one should look for or compare when looking at competitive models. This works very well, especially with items you have no previous experience with.

Comparison of automobiles is a more difficult task as it is much more subjective. It is easy to compare mpg, or 0-60 performance. But IMO, judging things such as performance in driving a curving mountain road, the comfort of the ride and how quiet the cabin is. Handling and steering response, these are all things that cannot be quantified by people giving their indivisual responses as they are simply opinions, not measurments.

In other respects, items that CR evaluates are of great help. I bought a new gas grill this summer. After reading the specs and warranty details, I decided to stay with Weber. Thought about new Michlen Primacies as well this fall. Went to Tire Rack and also looked at CR. Between the two, I gathered a lot of good information.

This system works for me. For others CR may not be of help. To each his own!

Paul

I subscribe to CR (or at least a family member gives me a gift subscription at Christmas every single year). The CR reliability surveys and charts are very useful and probably the best available in the industry. I monitor and have verified this data against cars I actually own (past/present).

I don't give much weight to road tests, they are not very good. Yes, they do good appliance reviews including fridges, BBQs, toasters.

I have long history of no loyalty to any one auto maker, having owned brands including Lexus, Toyota, Mercedes, Porsche, Honda, Acura, Jag, Ford, Hummer, Mercury, Mazda and Jeep.

When it comes to comparisons, I reach my own conclusions based on multiple road tests/reviews and my own test drives.

Unfortunately, I buy with my heart. I am a car salesman's dream come true. I guess when I walked onto the showroom floor and saw my car and started texting pictures of it to my family and friends....I made a big mistake. No magazine could have talked me out of that car. Believe me...I tried for a whole week to get it out of my mind. I was really wanting a 'Vette. This car was love at first sight.

I really should subscribe to CR for things other than vehicles. I'm sure it is a big help.

Quote - "When it comes to comparisons, I reach my own conclusions based on multiple road tests/reviews and my own test drives."

Can you believe that I didn't even drive my car before I bought it? I drove a regular IS-C, but not mine. Mine handles much better, but rides much rougher. I'll take the rough ride and the fun tight cornering. :D