Cooling Issues

My '94 has a very random overheating problem. Somedays it's fine, and then all of a sudden the temp races up to the red marking. The car will overheat while it's moving and/or while it's motionless, but when I slip it into neutral and goose it a few times, it makes the fan kick on and the car is fine. The problem is the fan doesn't kick on when it's supposed to. Any ideas??????

I've already replaced a fried cooling fan relay. I'm thinking some sensor is gone because when the fan kicks in the car is very, very cool.

After reading through numerous old posts, it seems as though low p/s fluid and low coolant levels are common causes. I checked both, and all fluid levels look fine. And to top it all off, I sold my Lexus repair manuals because I had a buyer lined up. Needless to say, I'll be putting the sale off until I get this fixed.

don't sell the manuals until you sell the car.

If the relay fried then it may have fried other components you will have to check to see if it is being sent the right turn on for the fan and that the wires haven't shorted somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...