Power Mirrors

mikeb

Hey folks - new to the forum. My 1990 LS400 has suddenly developed a problem where the power mirrors no lunger function. The fuse is good, as is the switch. I have tried tracing the wires from the switch behind the dash with little luck. It appears the dash would have to be removed to completely trace them. I'm wondering if someone knows if there is a fusible link or motor of some type mounted behind the dash and its location.

Another note: The switch is mounted between the steering wheel and driver's door. The switch panel also has the remote door lock switch and it works fine. I have tested the lock switch and it has power but do not get any reading from the wires going to the mirror switch. Since there are multiple wires leading to the mirror switch, I'm assuming power may be supplied through multiple wires or the circuit passes through some other device.

Any ideas? Thanx in advance.

• 1 month later...

Hey folks - new to the forum. My 1990 LS400 has suddenly developed a problem where the power mirrors no lunger function. The fuse is good, as is the switch. I have tried tracing the wires from the switch behind the dash with little luck. It appears the dash would have to be removed to completely trace them. I'm wondering if someone knows if there is a fusible link or motor of some type mounted behind the dash and its location.

Another note: The switch is mounted between the steering wheel and driver's door. The switch panel also has the remote door lock switch and it works fine. I have tested the lock switch and it has power but do not get any reading from the wires going to the mirror switch. Since there are multiple wires leading to the mirror switch, I'm assuming power may be supplied through multiple wires or the circuit passes through some other device.

Try the relay box. I think it is behind the mirror it self...

i am sorry ,just trying to clarify this

are you saying there is an actual relay in the mirror besides the motor?

:D Sorry, that is what i was trying to type "motor" my mind was not working with my finger.. :D

Mike,

I have the same problem with my 92 LS 400 as well as the cruise control is not functioning. My mechanic said there is a small computer (maybe chip) behind the dash which controls the remote mirrors and cruise control. I have no idea on the cost. Imagine it is expensive.

computer , mirror ?

i am not too familiar with the ls modle but

does yours have memory for 2 peoples settings?

does the mirrors tilt down like a m-b when put into reverse?

failing these 2 options i would see no need for a computer for th memory control

whith the cruise control

what does it do or not do ?

does it light up at all not keep the right speed?

please be as detailed as possible

later

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not replying sooner - been out of town. To answer some of your questions:

The cruise works fine.

The driving position memory system works with the exception of the mirrors. The system controls only the driver's side seat, restraint, steering wheel, and mirrors. I tried resetting the system but...same problem.

When pressing the switch to move the mirrors, absolutely nothing happens. The switch is good but there isn't power from any of the wires leading to it. Of course, there are several wires and power could be a combination of any of them. I tried tracing the wires but they disappear into a bundle and no wires of similar color come out the other side. It looks like I would have to remove the dash to unbundle the wires.

I assume there is a motor and/or relay behind the mirrors but haven't been able to determine how to remove the mirros from the casing. There are two screws under the mirror casing but they appear only to remove the casing from the body.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Update. Got the mirrors off last night (my 18 yr old said, "why don't you just tug on them?"...duh). You wouldn't believe the crud in there. Cleaned the motors and all connections and will test this weekend.

• 1 year later...

I have exactly the same symtpoms as mikeb on a 92 LS400. I've tried tugging on both the mirror housing (the part painted to match the car body) and the mirror itself, with no luck at it popping-off.

mikeb, were you successful in getting the mirrors to work? And what exactly did you tug on?

Unfortunately your problem sounds just like the one that I've experienced. The problem is related to the ECU module(Electronic Control Unit) that is loacated behind the glovebox in the dash. I also thought it might be a fuse or a fusable link, but the dealer confirmed that it was in fact the control module for the mirrors that was defective. www.alldatadiy.com is a link that you can subscribe to for a lot less than the price of a shop manuel. It has sections on all the major components, both electical and mechnical. I was able to get disasembly instructions and diagnostic diagram with pinouts and expected voltages it was very helpful. Thats the good news. The bad news, I was not able to find the ECU for less than $250.00 used. As with all things Lexus parts are expensive. I am the original owner of a 1990 LS 400 with 109K and I am faced with replacing the PS rack and pinion unit if I can find one.The cost rebuilt is approx $700.00 just for the part. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Tug on the mirror itself - pops right off. I did trace the problem to the module behind the glove box. A new one is 410.00 from Lexus. Found a used one for a 93 but it is pinned differently.

For the time being I will adjust the mirros manually.

• 3 years later...

Greetings,

I have the same problem. How do you get to the switch to check wires?

Bob