Auto Ac Mode: Does The Compressor Actually Work In Winter?

Paddyz

I like the Auto AC mode because it monitors harmful emissions and switches to internal circulation when necessary. One question is, does the AC actually get turned on when the outside temperature is low, as in winter? I like to have the emission sensor on all the time, but thought it would be a waste of money if AC has to be on even it's not needed.

Yes, the A/C on vehicles made by Toyota automatically turns off at low outside temperatures on vehicles with the "Auto" and air filtration feature. I don't know exactly what that temperature is but it seems to be around 40 degrees. It's fine to run your A/C in Auto mode all the time but it wastes fuel in moderately low temperatures when A/C and the air filtration system isn't really needed. About the only time I run my A/C in auto mode when the outside temperature is between 40 and 65 degrees is when it is humid. Above 65 degrees, I almost always have the A/C in Auto mode with the air filtration system on.

If it is like my LS, the Auto on the right only works when the Auto on the left is on. I would have hoped that the noxious fumes emitted by Rick Perry would have subsided by now!